Installing new shower hardware help

Old 07-09-06, 06:16 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing new shower hardware help

Greeting, Iíve recently remodeled (new shower pan, drywall, tile, window) a shower stall and am now nearing completion.

Two questions I hope someone can help with.
1. Whatís the best way to install a new shower door, specifically drilling holes in new tile?
2. I want to replace the hardware and didnít really think I would need to replace the valve until after I installed the tile. Are there new hardware sets that will work with my existing valve or do I need to find someone to replace it? The old one has already left us for a better place (dump).

Thanks in Advance!
-Karl

Old 07-09-06, 07:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Drilling the holes in the tile are best done, of course, with tile bits which look like a small wedge on a shaft. You can also use concrete bits, but the carbide tends to heat up on terazzo more than on ceramic. When seating your base, use two beads of GE Silicone II on either side of the rail and bed it down, taping it to the base/berm. Installing your stiles and top rail will help hold it in place, but wait a while before doing it so the silicone has a chance to tack off.
You didn't state what brand shower control valve you had, so it will be difficult to advise in that area, except to say you can find parts at big box, plumbing supply stores.

Old 07-10-06, 08:42 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick information on drilling and installing the shower door chandler.

Unfortunately, I don't know the brand of the existing valve; it's probably 30+ years old. It's basically a pull out for pressure and turn left or right for hot and cold valve. It has a single screw for mounting the knob in the center. I really have no preferences on what hardware to go to next, other then it needs to look nice.

-Karl

Old 07-10-06, 03:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Karl: It could be either a Delta or Moen valve, or some other similar brand. Is the brass protrusion where you attach the knob in the shape of a diamond with a screw hole in the middle? You could always purchase a trim ring set and knob, and return it if it doesn't fit, and keep swapping until you get the right one. Make note of the attachment screw holes in the brass body. This may help in deciding on which one to get.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: