Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

How to instructions to cut existing counter top!

Old 07-11-06, 02:33 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I need assistance with cutting away 1/8" to 1/2" off the edge of my countertop to retrofit a new stand alone range where an old drop-in use to reside.

I was told to use a reverse cut/formica blade for my jigsaw. When this was done, it chipped the formica... not too bad. BUT, we do not want to risk additional damage to the counter. So, I would greatly appreciate step by step instructions on how to accomplish this job and the appropriate tools to do so. Speed of the jigsaw, etc. Anything would be helpful. The reverse cut blade isn't as fine a tooth blade as many of the wood cutting blades are but it is my understanding that you increase the chances of fracturing the formica with a blade that cuts on the up direction.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance I can get with this.

Thanks,

Bridges

Old 07-11-06, 02:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If you want to use a jigsaw, use as fine a blade as you can get, if possible, reduce the reciprocating of the saw to a straight line cut, draw a line on the formica, place masking tape on either side of the line and cut carefully. The finer blade should help reduce splintering. Not sure what brand saw you are using, but my Frued allows for straight up and down blade movement, as well as an orbital type movement for aggressive cutting. You don't want the aggressive cut method.
In addition, you will need to buy an end trim kit to glue onto the newly cut end to dress it up. If you can't find the exact matching surface, find one that will be close in color, as it won't be seen that much.

Old 07-11-06, 09:36 PM
S
Use a hot Iron to remove the existing finished end piece. It can be reattached using contact cement.
Cut the top about 1/8" away from the intended finish dimension, then use a belt sander to finish the re-sizing, and install the end piece.

Old 07-12-06, 01:22 PM
D
I would use chandlers method with the tape also. I have used it and it works great.

another thing - get a cutting wheel for a dremel (if you have one) Draw a line on the laminate countertop and then just enough to get through the formica with the dremel, the blade spins so fast, you will get no chipout. Then just cut however you like to get through the particleboard beneath

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: