Installing a pedestal sink. Help needed.

Old 07-17-06, 03:27 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Installing a pedestal sink. Help needed.

I am looking at redoing my bathroom and had a couple of questions in regards to the removing an existing counter with a sink/cupboards and installing a pedestal sink. If I open the cupboards below the sink, the hot water and cold water leads come from right under the sink from the floor, but the piping for the drainage, it comes from the wall to the right. Is there a way to easily move the drainage pipe so it comes up behind the pedestal? Do I remove the existing piping to the wall and then run it through the wall around the corner and then to behind the pedestal? Or do I run it through the floor boards and then up behind the sink? Is there a specific angle the drainage pipe has to be installed at?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-17-06, 03:39 PM
Moving the drain line will be MUCH more difficult than moving the water lines over. The drain would need to be cut inside the wall and the tee installed and turned towards the new location. You would also need to reroute the vent for the drain. The waterlines could be cut below the floor and rerouted to center off the drain. For the sake of "looks" I would run the waterlines inside the wall and bring them out just above the drain. Otherwise, you will have exposed lines running from the floor to the sink. Good luck.

P.S. You are going to be patching walls no matter how you run the lines.

Old 07-17-06, 03:50 PM
S
The problem is, the sink wouldn't look right installed over the drain pipe where it is now. It needs to be in the front when you open the door. If it is over the right (which is where the drain pipe is), then it wouldn't look right. So, what is the process to move the drainage pipe and how do I reroute it through the studs. I don't mind cutting into the drywall as it is pretty easy to patch.

Old 07-24-06, 09:22 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Drain

Investigate possibility of placing drain through wall behind new sink and then down through bottom plate to underneath and connect to existing line.

Drain slope should be a minimum of 1/8 inch per foot.

Old 07-24-06, 02:33 PM
Downward piping is the drain. You STILL need to vent the sink. Can be done but you will be cutting out a lot more wall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: