caulk

Old 07-23-06, 12:04 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
caulk

Again trying to repair some old caulk in the bathroom due to peeling/seperating from the surface. Got 100% silicone, was told by a hardware person. Still it's coming off. What type of caulk should I use? Maybe my preparation is not correct. Also, how do you keep caulk in good condition so the next time i pull it out it doesn't plug up or dried up at the tip? Is this even possible?

Old 07-23-06, 12:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Remove all the old caulk. Clean well (I use denatured alcohol) and allow to dry completely. I recommend GE Silicone2. Apply and let cure fully before using any water. I normally just plug the end of the tube when finished using and never had a problem. If the caulking comes with a cap and a nozzle, remove the nozzle and clean out and use the cap on the tube. Good luck.

Old 07-23-06, 06:21 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
I often stick a nail down the snout to help preserve the caulk, the better it is sealed the longer it will last. Caulks that are made for bath applications have mmore mildewcide in them than most regular caulks.

If you don't use a galvanized nail on latex caulk it may rust a little discoloring the first bit of caulk that comes out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: