bathroom humidity situation

Old 07-24-06, 07:28 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bathroom humidity situation

I live in a housing co-operative and we have a big problem with bathroom ventilation. I am trying to research the best solution. I will not be doing the work, BUT I will be talking to the contractor.

Currently we have a very cheap fan in each main bathroom. Bathroom consists of a tub/shower, toilet and one sink. Half the baths have an outdoor window, the other half do not. Each bathroom has a cheap fan that is controlled by a wall switch. Each bathroom has a sever mold/mildew problem. I want to find a ventilation solution:

I have thought about installing low sone fan, with the proper cfw airflow, but I need to ensure people are using it. I would like to install a dehumidistat that would turn the fan off and on automatically. I understand that these have to be set to the outdoor temperature and this is a problem. I don't want to depend on our members to set the temperature. I want it to be completely automatic, in other words idiot proof. Is there anything on the market that is hands free like this.

Also, our ductwork is 3" and I would like to increase this to 4" as most low sone fans require this and it is pointless to buy an expensive low sone that has to be retrofitted to 3" and risk losing the quiet nature of the fan. Is changing the ductwork a simple low cost or is it quite diffcult and expensive? The most problematic bathrooms are on the interior, the vent through the ceiling and then must bent and exit out an exterior wall. I expect about 12-17 ft in total.

Thanks for any help you can give me. When I look for a handyperson to do the work, should I look for a contractor, plumber, electrician or a HVAC person?

Old 07-24-06, 07:55 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
If the units are stacked one exhaust fan per section will be fine! You will have to get the wright cfm fan! Id get a design buld HVAC company!

Old 07-24-06, 09:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Rather than going to the expense of the humidistat, just wire the fan to the light switch. If they want to see, they will turn on the fan, also. I have done this in college quads where the "tenants" complained of the wallpaper peeling. Heck, yeah, the paper will peel when you take a 120 degree shower for 20 minutes with no ventilation!

Old 07-25-06, 07:00 AM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Larry

I thought like you when I recently gutted the bathroom that my daughters use. It had mold problems. I figured if they wanted to be able to see when they take a shower they would have to listen to the fan so I wired them to one switch. I was surprised to find out that daughters dont need lights to take a shower. Plan B was the humidistat. Its working well. Wifes however need light so this strategy worked well in the master bath.

Old 07-25-06, 07:32 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The units are not stacked, they are townhouse style.

As a committee we did think of wiring the fan to the light switch, but CMHC (our governing body at the time) would not allow it. They said the fan would not run long enough.

So, the 2 basic ?'s are:

A dehumidistat that does not need a human to set a dial to the outdoor temperature

Is it costly to go from a 3" ductwork for the fan to a 4"?

Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: