Towel Rack installation on sheetrock

Old 08-05-06, 01:36 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Towel Rack installation on sheetrock

I'm having trouble installing my towel racks. I have tried to mount them using drywall anchors. The racks are still coming down which then leaves a hole in the wall the size of a Quarter. I have repaired the hole with drywall compound and would like to reinstall them. Do you have any suggestions on what to install them with so they will remain on the wall?
I have thought about looking for the studs but the racks are 30" and 26" and wall studs are usually 16" apart.
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Blondie

Old 08-05-06, 01:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Blondie, welcome to the forums. Your best bet is to use a 3/16" toggle bolt. This will give you enough span behind the sheetrock to hold the holder without ripping out your sheetrock. You will have to move over or up and down to good sheetrock, however, as a patch will not hold the pressure.
Good luck and post back if we can help further.

Old 08-05-06, 01:53 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I would also consider placing one end on a stud. The added strength afforded by mounting one end on the stud would help support the other end.

Old 08-08-06, 11:13 AM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Don't know how it would go with your decor/wall finish, but you could also mount the towel bar to a 1 x 3 board (maybe with a routed edge and/or painted to match other trim), then mount the board to the wall at the studs.

Then use your 16-ounce claw hammer to convince whoever keeps tearing them off the wall, that these are meant to hold towels (a couple of pounds max), not gymnastics.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: