Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

How join 3 pieces of laminate countertop together over a corner cabinet?

How join 3 pieces of laminate countertop together over a corner cabinet?

Old 08-09-06, 08:42 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation How join 3 pieces of laminate countertop together over a corner cabinet?

I hired a freind to help me install cabinets and he convinced me to purchase laminate countertops as well so he could install. Unfortunately he turned out to be a flake after I purchased the materials. I had to complete the cabinet installation myself and now have the choir of completing the countertops myself. I have a
corner cabinet that requires me to customize a 3 piece cut out and join them together. I lack the experience and the tools to finish this with confidence. All of the articles I have read advise having a professional finish it but I am tapped out and need a countertop in order to have a working sink and diswasher. How can make all three pieces come together in this one corner without looking like crap? Usually a person would have it pre fabricated. I have the laminate countertops that require you to cut to size and bolt toghether not the type that you glue the laminate on yourself. This kind only is easy for an L shaped installation not a U shaped especially if it has a corner cabinet. Can anybody wallk me through this corner cabinet countertop cutting and sanding so I won't have obvious seams?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-06, 07:48 PM
S
1st) The seams will always be obvious because you are joining a specific pattern, at right angles.
2nd) You can order the sink section with both left and right miters.

Old 08-11-06, 08:32 AM
H
Too late to re order

Thanks for your suggestion snoop but I didn't order any of the countertopk, instead, my friend had me buy the pre fabricated laminate at the store. Now I am stuck with these materials and can't afford to buy a whole new countertop.I I have all three pieces cut out except the small piece that goes on the outer corner edge over the corner cabinet. I have to sand the pieces exact so they are flush and join what comes out to be 4 pieces together. I have no previous experience with this and hadn't planned on doing this myself, but now I have to and with very basic tools.

Old 08-13-06, 05:32 AM
C
ok you seem to be in a bind. even a pro would have a hard time making this look good but i will tell you the steps that i would do to try and make it look its best. first i need to know more about the top. it sounds like you have a pre-fab counter top.
i need to know the answers to these questions first
1 does it have a back splash built into it and how high
2 does it have a bullnose built into it at the front
3 3 pieces, what does each piece look like at the ends
4 what tools do you own
5 these are going into a U shaped kitchen

Old 08-18-06, 12:44 AM
H
the three pieces in question

Yes there is a backsplash.
I have cut the u shape out and all pieces match up but I need to sand to perfection. I ave a belt sander. I cut a portion of each piece over the corner cabinet that are equal and I need to match a octagon shape perfectly over the corner cabinet. The corner cabinet is 36" wide and36" deep. Do you need more info?

Old 08-18-06, 06:47 PM
C
I cut a portion of each piece over the corner cabinet that are equal and I need to match a octagon shape perfectly over the corner cabinet.
i dont understand this comment. to have a U shaped counter you need 90 degree turns out of the corners. does the counter return out of the corners at a 90Degree angle?

Old 08-19-06, 09:43 AM
S
Internet dentistry.

What are the dimensions of the "octagon"?
An unanswered question; "2 does it have a bullnose built into it at the front"

Standard cabinet depth is 24".
So when you say;"I have cut the u shape out and all pieces match up but I need to sand to perfection", and then say,
"I need to match a octagon shape perfectly over the corner cabinet."

Are you saying that where the "octagon" is to join, that that cut is both a 45 and a straight cut and that "The corner cabinet is 36" wide and36" deep" was created as a arch. element from a standard base and a 12" upper, offset from the 90 degree wall intersection by 12" to create the other leg of the "octagon"?

Old 08-19-06, 01:52 PM
W
Received 21 Votes on 20 Posts
Trying to help

I believe the corner cabinet has 5 sides and would be called a pentagon. The 36 inch dimensions are along the two walls. This would create a diagonal front at 45 degrees to each of the adjoining cabinets.

Old 08-20-06, 05:28 PM
C
if it is not a 90 degree angle in the corner and not a U shaped kitchen the counter top wont work. if there is a 45 degree corner cabinet then the distance from the face of the cabinet to the wall will be far above 24" . when you mentioned the 36" measurement that would be a standard lazy susan measurement and lead me to believe it was a 90 degree corner

Old 08-21-06, 10:03 PM
H
U Shape

I meant the overall counter top is a u shaped kitchen. Alltogether,there are 4 pieces of laminate. The cornercabinet has to have 3 pieces over it in order to cover the whole area. the countertops are typically about 26 inches and the corner cabinet is 36 inches deep and wide. in order to have the same edge parrallel with the cornercabinet as the rest of the counter, I have to cut three pieces. I found this to be very difficult. Any suggestions in perfecting this, making it easier, or joining them together or sanding them. I want it to look right.

Old 08-21-06, 10:12 PM
H
It is a typical lazy susan.

The u shape is becuas there are two corner but only one lazy susan. Yes the lazy susan is a pentagon shape but the third piece I have cut out over the lazy susan is over the corner because this corner has two pieces join together to form a 90 degree angle but I cut out the bull nois where the lazy susan 45 degree begins so the counter top will sit flush. Now I need to cut the third piece out to cover the 45 degree angle cut out. Make sense?