general bathroom remodel questions

Old 08-09-06, 09:43 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question general bathroom remodel questions

I am a newcomer to bathroom remodeling and am deciding to try an tackle it myself. I have a few questions:

I am putting in a tub and plan to tile the surround. First I have to frame and insulate the exterior (foundation) wall. The tub will go against the foundation wall. I plan on putting a moisture resistant greenboard like Durock for the surround Do I need to put a poly barrier between the Durock and frame? Also, do I attach the tub to the 2x4's and just put greenboard above the tub (surround), or do I need to sheetrock the wall on the bottom before I put the tub in and attach the tub to the sheetrock?

Thanks.

Old 08-09-06, 12:43 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
The tub goes right up against the 2x4 framing. No drywall behind it. Frame the rough opening just big enough to get the tub into position.

Greenboard and durock are not the same thing. Dont use greenboard. Use the durock for the surround. Yes use poly over the framing. The poly should overhang the flange on the tub. You can end the durock just above the flange or fir out the studs and have the durock overhang the flange. If using a small format tile firring out the studs would be better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: