Countertop

Old 08-14-06, 12:20 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Countertop

I'm almost to the home stretch in finishing off my basement. I purchased some fairly inexpensive (in-stock) cabinets and some laminate countertop from my local big-box store for my wet bar area. I figured installing the countertop to the cabinets would be easy, but i'm having a heck of a time. What's the trick? Is there some build-up kits of sorts that I need? Both of the cabinets and countertop appear to have material on the corners for this, but it just doesn't make sense to me. I've got 2 countertop areas and a bar tap area.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

Old 08-14-06, 06:02 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is glue the right thing to use? Doesn't seem right to me, but i've seen it done this way.

Old 08-14-06, 06:22 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Most cabinets and countertops I have seen are screwed together. Cabinets first as you level them and then the countertop. Make sure the screws for the countertop are short enough not to pierce the top. Good luck.

Old 08-14-06, 06:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Tony: all your base cabinets must be level and the same height. By the same token all the stiles should be screwed together to make one contigous unit. In the corners of your cabinets are little triangles with a hole in them. This should be used to install a screw (not too long!) up into the laminate base. I wouldn't use glue, as it negates the possibility of maintenance should it ever arise. HOpe this helps. If not, post back, and we will try again.

Old 08-16-06, 09:32 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Fasten the countertop to the cabinets by screwing up through the top of the cabinet face frames, taking care not to pierce laminate. The plastic triangles are corner support blocks installed to maintain squareness of cabinets.

Old 08-17-06, 05:05 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Counter top

Another method is to install 1x4 material running from front to back on top of the cabinet and then fasten the counter top to these. 1x4's should be placed at each end and then at sufficient intervals to support the counter top. You can space them at convenient locations to make the task of installing the screws as easy as possible.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: