sink choices

Old 08-14-06, 09:40 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
sink choices

New here in need of some advice. Searched the forums first and didn't see any comparisons between sink brands. Currently redoing the kitchen and can't decide on a sink. The stainless steel choices are between the Blanco 512-750, Elkay EFU311810, and Kohler K-3159. The Blanco is the only 18 gauge sink of the choices and the rest are 16 gauge. I know the 16 gauge is thicker but is it worth the extra costs? Also, how do the three brands compare. I think the kohler is top of the line because of prices but are there any real differences between sinks when it comes to stainless steel if all are the same gauge?
Another option is a granite sink by blanco but I feel with the new granite countertops that the granite theme is going to be overkill. Cast Iron is also an option but I do not know. I'm so torn. If anyone has any experience or can sway me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!!!

Old 08-14-06, 06:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I agree the 16 gauge sinks seem to be better, but not only because of cost. If you note, the undercoating will be a little thicker and cover a larger area. This is important for noise reduction. Being a thicker gauge will tend not to flex as much when you install that 1 horse disposer. I agree, also, with the granite overkill unless you are able to get an under mount neutral color sink. Cast iron, to me could possibly be too heavy for the granite unless good support is given. Those babies are heaaavvvy.
Take an analytical look at what you think will look good. Then get down to the construction methods, attachment method, and the gauge.
Good luck with the choices and post back if we can help further.

Old 08-14-06, 08:26 PM
J
Chipped glasses.

Granite can damage dishes and glasses, and stainless makes a nice contrast; I would definitely NOT get a granite sink.

I did get a 16 gauge; the style I wanted [single bowl, very deep] only came in the heavier. I felt guilty at the time, but I really like it.

Calculate the difference in price as a percentage of the entire cost of the work being done; that will put it in perspective.

Old 08-15-06, 05:16 AM
P
Wow...thanks for the great advice guys. I believe I'll go with the stainless steel as suggested. Probably in a 16 gauge for noise reduction. I guess since the sink will be there for a good 15-20 years, might as well spring for a little extra. One last thing, does anyone have any opinions on elkay sinks? How do they compare to Kohler? Am I just paying for the name? Thanks again guys!!!

Old 08-15-06, 07:43 AM
W
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
Like a lot of things, sink choice is pretty subjective. I have a Kohler cast iron undercounter and as Chandler says, the thing is heavy. I prefer the cast iron to stainless, like I said it's subjective. Heve you considered an undermount sink. They are great with granite countertops.
Whenever I do a reno project I try to buy the best material I can get within my budget. When it comes to Elko vs Kohler I think I would have to opt for the Kohler product, probably because the only Elkay stuff I've seen has been low end. I have three Kohler sinks and a couple of faucets and I'm happy with them.

Old 08-16-06, 09:03 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
For a stainless sink, 18 gauge and insulated on the bottom is better than 20 gauge, but most find 20 gauge adequate. Stainless steel is made with chrome (for strength) and nickel (to prevent corrosion). 18 gauge is better than 20 (18% chrome and 10% nickel) because it is less likely to rust and retains shine longer and is thicker which retains heat longer and does not dent as easily. You will pay even more for 16 gauge. 16 gauge offers greater thickness and more lustre. Is it worth it? It's a matter of preference and budget.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: