Question on Kitchen Design & Cabinets

Old 09-17-06, 02:13 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question on Kitchen Design & Cabinets

Standard custom kitchen specs are below. Standard wood is birch but for an upgrade there is maple, cherry, and walnut. What is the difference and is birch good? Also wall cabinets are 35 3/16 H x 11 13/16 D, cabinet over the stove is 15" H and cabinets over the sink are 30 1/8. For base cabinets it is 34 1/2 H x 23 3/4. How does this all sound? Thanks Drew

3/4" plywood Sides, Tops, and Floors assembled with wood dowels and glue.
Birch interiors (Natural finish)
1/2" Birch plywood Wall backs.
1/4" Birch plywood Base & Tall Cabinet backs.
3/4" Birch veneered, particleboard core shelves. (Natural finish only)

5/8" Maple, true dovetailed, drawer boxes.
1/4" Birch Drawer bottoms dadoed in solid stock maple sides.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-06, 07:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Are you giving us information, or are you wanting confirmation that these are correct sizes, or are you making these cabinets yourself?

Old 09-18-06, 03:15 AM
S
It sounds as your question is regarding wood species and its a presumption that you are interested in thos species responce to different finished.

Since "grain" is the primary difference in the "appearance" of finished wood, unless painted, here goes.

Birch and maple have similar graining, and while birch will accept most finishes, maple is a harder wood and has a tendency to blotch unless properly, and sometimes painstakingly prepared.

Cherry and walnut are relative newcomers as cabinet material, unless you are talking "finishes".

Old 09-18-06, 06:28 AM
K
Originally Posted by chandler
Are you giving us information, or are you wanting confirmation that these are correct sizes, or are you making these cabinets yourself?

Confirmation that my designer knows what she is doing. I am having these custom built. As far as wood species is one better than the other? Thanks

Old 09-18-06, 06:45 AM
W
Received 20 Votes on 19 Posts
Cabinets

You should get input from the cabinet maker. Finished appearance will be of great importance. A designer may not understand the limitations of the cabinet maker unless they are the same person. There are other wood species besides the ones mentioned which have their unique qualities and finished appearance. Will the finish be natural or painted?

Old 09-18-06, 09:06 AM
K
The designer and cabinet maker are the same company. I will be having the wood species stained and maybe glazed. I dont know what the advantages are in having maple, cherry, or walnut for the doors as opposed to birch, these are also frameless cabinets. Thanks

Old 09-18-06, 05:17 PM
W
Received 20 Votes on 19 Posts
Cabinets

Cost may be a consideration as you move to a different wood. I personally do not like cherry because it seems too soft and fragile. I noticed this when I worked as a cabinet installer. Looking at samples finished the way you want will help with your decision. Good luck.

As a matter of curiosity, does this company really use dowels to fasten the cabinets together? This seems really labor intensive.

Old 09-19-06, 09:03 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Kryolla - You didn't list the wood for the face frames. That's the money side. Are they also birch? Birch is usually one of the low end woods for cabinets in my area.
If you are spending a bunch of money for a kitchen redo, you should consider a better grade of wood. Your kitchen designer should be able to help you out with the properties of different wood species and finishes. If you are concerned about their expertise, visit a couple of other showrooms, look at displays and ask questions.
From the description of the cabinet box construction you've given, it sounds to me that this shop is making high end cabinets.

Old 09-19-06, 12:33 PM
K
The cabinets are frameless but the doors are birch with an option to upgrade to maple, cherry, or walnut but I dont know what the advantages are

Old 09-19-06, 03:24 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The advantages are appearance and durability. I believe that birch is the softest of the woods you listed. Although it is somewhat subjective, I also believe that birch has the poorest grain configuration if your cabinets are to be stained.

Old 09-19-06, 06:12 PM
K
Thanks everyone

Old 09-21-06, 01:54 PM
K
Kitchen cabinets

Here is a usefull link

http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/content/18216

Old 09-24-06, 09:54 AM
Kathy Shumate
Visiting Guest
Cabinetry

I would suggest you ask the cabinet maker to give you a sample of the stained door. Stain takes differently to woods, as others have pointed out to you, and they "age" with time differently as well. Some stains, if not the right type or they are the wrong color, will "blotch" on maple and birch. I used to own a cabinet shop for many years and we always made a sample for the client and had them sign the back of it. I would ask that you do it.
By the way.....you requesting this of your designer is really no different than having the designer get a fabric swatch or wallpaper sample to check color prior to buying it and installing it. You will not be unreasonable when you ask for this.
Kathy
Certified Master Kitchen & Bath Designer

Last edited by Annette; 10-03-06 at 11:04 AM. Reason: self-promotion (advertising) is prohibited in these forums
Old 09-26-06, 09:48 AM
K
Thanks Kathy