Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Familiar with stand-alone/free-standing shower stalls?

Familiar with stand-alone/free-standing shower stalls?

Old 09-29-06, 09:02 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Arrow Familiar with stand-alone/free-standing shower stalls?

I've also heard them called shower cabinets.

I am having a very difficult time finding a direct-to-stud shower kit that will fit my 32" wide stud-to-stud cavity.

It looks like a wall will have to be moved in order to fit the 32 3/8" (rough-in size) shower kit.

I figure that I might as well just install a free-standing shower stall instead of rebuilding the wall.

Do you have familiarity with any of the stand-alone shower cabinets?

Any caveats or recommendations?

Thank you.

Old 10-07-06, 11:49 AM
I
Arrow

Has anyone come across a model that is sturdy and aesthetic?

Old 10-10-06, 08:41 AM
hamptonp
Visiting Guest
Most of the free-standing showers I call "hunting camp specials". Great for getting you clean if you have nothing else, but not something I'd want in my house.

Check out E.L. Mustee's shower bases and walls. They have a 32" unit that mounts to stud walls. Home Depot in NY state carry them in stock. Mustee also makes free-standing units. The model 68 (which is called an economy model) was $89 (including walls, base, faucet, and shower liner) at Home Depot before they stopped carrying it as an in-stock item. According to Mustee's website (www.mustee.com), there are deluxe and premier models which I would assume to be a more sturdy version of what Home Depot was carrying.

Old 10-10-06, 02:08 PM
I
Originally Posted by hamptonp
Most of the free-standing showers I call "hunting camp specials". Great for getting you clean if you have nothing else, but not something I'd want in my house.

Check out E.L. Mustee's shower bases and walls. They have a 32" unit that mounts to stud walls. Home Depot in NY state carry them in stock. Mustee also makes free-standing units. The model 68 (which is called an economy model) was $89 (including walls, base, faucet, and shower liner) at Home Depot before they stopped carrying it as an in-stock item. According to Mustee's website (www.mustee.com), there are deluxe and premier models which I would assume to be a more sturdy version of what Home Depot was carrying.
I have checked into the Mustee direct-to-stud bases and surrounds. Their rough-in size is 32 3/8"...believe it or not I don't have that extra 3/8"

I sure wish I could find a store, locally, that displayed shower cabinets.

Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: