I dont like tile!

Old 10-04-06, 12:03 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I dont like tile!

Currently, I have tile in my shower wall, and they are falling out one by one, so after tonite I was trying to relax and take a nice shower, and 3 tiles plopped out

I would re-tile it, but it seems the wall behind it is very unlevel, it has a large hump in the middle, which I imagine is the cause of the tile failure..

Does anyone know a decent alternative to tile? If not, whats an easier way to re-tile this to avoid this happening in the future?

Besides the shower arm threads where the shower head fits to has been grinded down to a few less threads, so it leaks also, and theres no-way to access that area for repair without ripping out the tile on that wall as well...

BTW I just bought this home 6 months ago, just a few problems to iron out

Hmmm..

Old 10-04-06, 06:00 AM
Not being a tile expert, I"m thinking getting access to that area is in your future...

Tiles should not just "pop out". Sounds like the wall is failing.
If the tiles were set on drywall, that hump could be the wall buckleing out. My guess is the tub/shower area will need to be redone. If tiles are falling, then please stop taking showers in there, as you are only adding to the problem. Mold and rotten wood are possible situations.

Sorry for the bad news.

Did you get a home inspection? Was the hump there already?

Old 10-04-06, 07:41 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,261 Upvotes on 1,203 Posts
I agree - the tiles falling are a symptom of a bigger problem that needs to be found and fixed quickly.

Old 10-04-06, 09:46 AM
P
Hmm..well access to that area wont be hard since most of the tiles on that wall have fallen out, around that hump....but after moving in, I quickly noticed some screwball jobs the previous owner did....yes I had it inspected and it passed...most of the problems have been fairly minor, except this one now I guess

But the wall behind the tile seems be a thin layer of adhesive over 3/8th inch plywood, I can push on the lump and it goes down and then comes back up, yes it crackels like wood when I apply pressure to it..

the tile on that wall, from the tub goes up about 4 feet where it meets a window..total its about 4' x 8' section of the wall..corner to corner

can I just remove the remaining tile, then cut out that portion of the backwall, since its so thin, and replace with some thing else?

I would post a pic, but this forum doesnt accept my img code to embed a pic

Oh yea I cant really stop taking showers in there..lol...thats my only b-room with a shower..I would be in the divorce market rather fast if I stopped taking showers, or told the wife to stop for that matter..:\

Old 10-04-06, 10:49 AM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You can post an "URL" if you'd like.

Old 10-04-06, 11:10 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Popkern

These are all tell tale signs that this entire bathtub surround has failed. All that water has damaged the wallboard behind the tile and you may even have some rotted framing as well. Like it or not the only thing you can do is tear down the walls and start from scratch.

If this is your only shower, hire a professional who can get the job done in a timely manner. You can get the plumbing problem resolved at the same time.

Any patch jobs that you do on this mess will only fail in a short period of time.

Sorry for the bad news.

Old 10-04-06, 04:08 PM
P
Well thats not really bad news I guess....but if you take a look at these pics, or URL's I have here, then maybe I can just cut the backboard from the wall from the window down, and replace all that?...This home was built in 1922, I dont know if that makes a whole lot of difference or not...:0..tiles and backboard replaced of course...quicker and cheaper that way...thanks abain for your time

Oh yea today I managed to repair the leaking shower elbow from the wall, I created a makeshift access panel in the closet on the other side of the shower wall, then replaced the needed pipes, then cut a board slightly larger than the hole I made in the wall, put some hinges on it and stained and sealed...where theres a will theres way, eh?

So it doesnt leak anymore thank G-d...but it still looks aesthetically crappy, as you can see from the above URL's...

http://www.ssb5.net/users/17966/000_0251.jpg
http://www.ssb5.net/users/17966/000_0253.jpg

Old 10-04-06, 05:22 PM
H
Those pictures confirm it. Those walls gotta go.

Old 10-04-06, 05:43 PM
P
heresjohnny

what would you suggest to replace the wall behind the tile?

Old 10-04-06, 05:47 PM
H
First you need a vapor barrier. 4 mil poly or 15lb felt will do. Then 1/2" cement board screwed to the studs.

Old 10-04-06, 06:40 PM
P
well I dont really live anywhere near a "super hardware store" like home depot, I am assuming I can get such things at ACE or Do It Yourself" centers, or maybe a lumber yard?

What does the cement board typically cost, and the vapor barrier?

Old 10-04-06, 07:04 PM
H
1/2" cement board comes in 3' by 5' sheets and costs around $12.00 per sheet. I buy 100ft rolls of poly vapor barrier. You dont need anywhere near that. Im not sure if they sell smaller sheets in the 4 mil or 6 mil thickness youll need. You can also use 15lb roofing felt.

If you dont have a Lowes, HD or other big box store around you can get this stuff at any tile supply or tile retail store.

Old 10-04-06, 07:25 PM
P
Well cripes, thats pretty cheap..I guess the only expensive part of this is the time and nagging..

Thanks for the info!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: