Unlevel floor with leaking toilet!

Old 10-04-06, 03:56 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unlevel floor with leaking toilet!

We have a house built in 1910. The only bathroom is located on the second floor. The floor is very unlevel, sloping down towards the tub. We also have major toilet issues right now. My husband has replaced the wax ring 3 times already, and it only last for so long. Basically when we flush, the nasty bowl water starts leaking into our kitchen below! Is it because the floor is unlevel maybe? Also we a planning a partial remodel this spring, and will attempt fixing the floor. It consist of cheap vinyl, underlayment, tongue/groove hardwood, and then very hard vertical wood (can't think of what is is called, like rafters, but not lol) and then a good 10" (about) space before we would hit the plaster ceiling below. What would be the best option for fixing to floor to level it.

Old 10-04-06, 04:51 PM
P
Sounds like your toilet isnt seated over the sewer line and wax ring properly, does water leak around the toilet when you flush?

I would check the plumbing first, try to examine the sewer and water lines while flushing, check for any leaks, if you can see them..

Or I could say "yea tear out the floor in the bathroom, thats the ticket!"..but that would be very expensive I imagine..

Back when I lived on my own, I actually built a small makeshift platform, raised above the floor about 8 inches, then extended the sewer line up to meet it, then I built a little magazine rack, toilet roll holder, and a small stair on the front for trip free access at night,, it was my "pedestal", if you will..lol...mind you though the toilet was built into a small corner in the bathroom..

Point of that being, if your floor is just somewhat unlevel, then I'm sure you can use my technique there to level your toilet at least, just build the side that slopes down higher, to level it...it may prevent damage to the lower floor, in a cost effective manner...

Old 10-04-06, 05:09 PM
M
When my husband replaces the ring, it doesn't leak at all. But, after a month or so, it starts up again. It mostly leaks below into our kitchen, but sometimes (not often) will get the floor around the toilet wet. We would like a quick fix for now, but really should redo the whole floor as soon as we get our taxes back in Feb. Since we are planning on gettinga new tub and toilet, we figure that would be the best time to do the floor. It is very unlevel, not just slightly. Oh, and he did have part off the floor up and the toilet off, and the plumbing looked good (after he got the gunk, pennies, and batteries out lol). When we do the floor, we will pull up everthing down to the joist ( I think I remember what they're called now!). From there we are lost as far as how to level the new subfloor (plywood I suppose?)

Old 10-04-06, 05:19 PM
W
Received 60 Upvotes on 52 Posts
Unlevel floor

Your description of the problem suggests the weight of the tub has contributed to the problem. Make sure the floor supporting the tub is strong enough.

At the commode, make sure the sewer pipe at the wax ring is not too high. It may need to be cut down and a new commode flange installed.

Old 10-04-06, 05:32 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
The fact that the toilet doesnt leak when you first put a new wax ring on suggest that there is some movement in the toilet or the floor thats causing it to leak later on. Does the toilet rock or does it sit flat on the floor? Does the floor seem spongy or bouncy? Is the toilet flange screwed securly into the floor?

You should resolve this leak asap. The water will cause all kinds of problems, rot and mold among them. Mold can be a huge problem. When you have leaks like this its a lot cheaper to fix them now then later.

Old 10-04-06, 05:41 PM
M
I wondered if the tub was the original offender too! I'm thinking that many years ago, there was probably a cast iron tub. With the weight of that and it being filled with water, maybe it could have sank the floor? We are thinking about having a home inspector come and do a once over on our whole house. Would he be able to advise on the bathroom situation (as far as the floor mainly) or would I need another type of professional? We are going to have a very tight budget for this whole thing, so hopefully we can do most or all ourselves!

Old 10-04-06, 05:49 PM
M
I notice that when my 3 yo climbs up, there is some movement if he is to wiggly. I also think that the floor must be spongy with all the leaks it has had in the past. I am very concerned also, because the plaster has loosened from the ceiling, and there was several areas of mold and water stains. My husband sprayed it with bleach, then went over it with a coat of primer. now the whole cycle is starting over again.

Old 10-04-06, 06:37 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
When you pull the toilet off to replace the wax ring again, check the plywood that the toilet is sitting on to see if it is water damaged or rotted. If it is replace it. The toilet needs a good solid foundation to sit on. Check to make sure that the toilet flange is screwed into the plywood and that there is no movement. Shim under the flange to eliminate movement if necessary. Make sure that the flange is not sitting to high off the floor causing the toilet to rock. When you reinstall the toilet shim it as necessary to make sure it doesnt rock. They make plastic shims that you can get at home depot and other stores just for this purpose. Wood shims arent really good here, and coins and other small objects may sink into the vinyl and any wet damaged plywood.

Again you should try to fix this problem asap. Good Luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: