Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Replacing tile backsplash, countertop and repaint - How to

Old 10-10-06, 07:25 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I want to replace a tile backsplash that extends from my kitchen countertops up to the cabinets, and goes all the way around the kitchen. I also plan do replace the countertop and repaint the cabinets.

What is the best order to do such things: (remove countertop, remove tiles, repair/prepare wall, install countertop, install backsplash and then paint ?)

I am going to *try* to remove the tiles without damaging the drywall too badly but I am not very confident that it can be done. As such, I have a couple of questions:

1) Could I repair the damaged drywall and install the tile on top of it? What should I use for the repair?

2) If the drywall is too damaged, how would I go about replacing the drywall between the countertop and the bottom of the cabinet? It would believe that it will almost impossible to do a good job with the joint as I would have to cut right below the cabinets (and that if I am lucky and don't tear some drywall behind the cabinets). Is it a problem?

3) Should I use drywall or greenboard or cement board?

Thx,

Nimalex

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-06, 06:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 95 Votes on 89 Posts
Welcome to the forums

It shouldn't be a problem to repair the drywall under the backsplash. If the paper gets torn use a solvent based primer to seal the exposed gypsum. The drywall can be repaired with joint compound or a powdered setting compound like durabond or easy sand.

I doubt that the drywall would get too damaged to repair. If a chunk does come off it can be replaced. IMO it would be easier to replace smallareas than it would be to replace all the drywall between the cabinets.

Another option would be to install 1/4" drywall [if painting between cabinets] or 1/4" durarock/wonder board [for tile] after removing the countertop.

It doesn't really matter which you finish first. Do the painting first and you will likely need to touch up some areas. Do the tile and top first and they will need to be covered to keep the paint off of them.

Old 10-12-06, 12:01 PM
Nimalex, it sounds like you and I are planning on trying similar projects. Sorry I don't have any advice for you since I haven't started my project yet, but I just wanted to say keep me posted on how your project goes!

Old 10-17-06, 11:52 AM
Nimalex - I hate to add more to the equation, but do you know how your backsplash is attached? When I went from formica to tile I wanted to rip out the existing backsplash and tile the wall. Unfortunately the backsplash was screwed to the countertop from behind. It was a real PITA to get it removed.