Space between upper cabinets

Old 10-19-06, 05:00 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Space between upper cabinets

My handyman is installing the kitchen cabinets, but there is a space between the upper cabinets. Is typical or the cabinets installed wrong? Here is a pic http://www.rockenbach.net/kitchen.jpg

Old 10-19-06, 06:15 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Looks to me like he isn't even finished installing them yet.
Why not wait until he's done, I bet he fills the gap with a simular piece of material that is filling the gap just below it on the bottom cabinets.

Old 10-19-06, 06:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 10 Upvotes on 9 Posts
I agree with Pendragon. These are stock cabinets, and can only fit so good in a given opening. He has to make a choice as to where he puts the gap. He will, then fill it with a matching strip.
Even with custom cabinets sometimes you have to deal with an ill fit and filler strips. Give him a chance to finish.

Old 10-20-06, 05:49 AM
J
Thanks!

Thanks guys. I will wait to he finishes.

Old 10-22-06, 02:33 PM
C
let him finish but from the picture i think you may have a bigger problem. it looks like the end panel that is on the right side of the stove is way to close to the drawers. when you go to pull out the drawer it will hit the stove.

Old 10-23-06, 10:49 AM
J
Thanks guys, he was still working on them and they are looking much better. cobradude1965 you are right, great obeservation. In order to pull the drawer out all the way, I will have to open the oven

Old 10-23-06, 03:50 PM
C
i would say the installer screwed up in that corner. if the cabinet in the corner is a blind corner cabinet then he should have pulled it out to what the cabinet required and it would have given clearence for the stove. if you still have the box the cabinet came in you can tell by looking at the codes. heres an example

BC42/45 this means the cabinet should be installed pulled off the inside corner to a spec. bettween 42" to 45". this gives flexability to make 90 degree corners.

Old 10-23-06, 03:57 PM
C
after looking at the picture again i have some more thoughts. it hard to tell but i can only guess that the corner cabinet is a blind corner and it was not pulled out to the correct piont. then it looks like a sink base is next to that blind corner, does the sink base center under a window?

then next i know he is not done in that picture but make sure he cuts a notch at the bottom of the end panel right of stove for a toe kick. i cannot stand when people dont cut those out and it just shows poor workmanship. i have wellover 1500 kitchens installed and know how things are done. good luck and if you need any other help just let me know

Old 10-24-06, 06:10 AM
B
Originally Posted by JRockFL
My handyman is installing the kitchen cabinets, but there is a space between the upper cabinets. Is typical or the cabinets installed wrong? Here is a pic http://www.rockenbach.net/kitchen.jpg
Too me that doesn't look right but it may be that the fridge area was meant for a cubby where there is a wall on the right side or your handyman didn't "measure" up

Old 10-25-06, 05:55 AM
The space

This is very common.
He will/should be installing a filler in its place.
This wilod be put in prior to any Crown or base trim.
The cabinets look nice too.

Old 10-25-06, 05:22 PM
J
Thanks everyone for the replies.

cobradude1965,
yes there is a sinkbase centered under a window, then the dishwasher and then another cabinet, then the wall. Next time, I will hire someone that has a lot of experience like yourself.

I didn't know there was so much to hanging cabinets!
Once it is complete, I will post some pictures.

Old 12-05-06, 10:58 AM
B
Looks like what you need is a 3" filler to fill in the gap between the range wall cabinet and the corner wall cabinet. This will match the filler on the bottom between the stove and corner base unit. However, the filler on the bottom looks like a dishwasher finish end panel/filler, which is fine, but it looks like it is on the wrong side. Flip it upside down so the panel side is next to the oven. Preferably I would not have an oven that close to the corner, but sometimes it can't be helped. Just order a matching filler. Have the cabinet guy cut it to fit (if needed) slid it in place and screw it in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: