countertop laminate coming up

Old 10-29-06, 12:04 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
countertop laminate coming up

one edge on my kitchen laminate countertop is loose. its about an area of 4 inches long, and 1/2 inch wide along a seam. it would be difficult to put contact cement in such a small area. any ideas on how to fix this?

Old 10-29-06, 12:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Votes on 825 Posts
Repairing laminate is always a tough assignment. If the area is at a miter, it's likely that the glue has let go because the particle board substrate has gotten wet and has let the glue go. Repairing it is almost impossible.

If it's at an edge, it might be possible to reglue, provided the laminate can be lifted enough to get some glue in there. I've often used a thin shim to brush some contact cement into the area, slopping both sides up as best as possible, then keeping them apart by inserting a large nail as a spacer to let the glue on both sides tack up. (Not sure if contact adhesive in a spray can would help you out or not?) Once you've waited for the glue to set up, press the two sides together and clamp them to ensure you get a good bond.

I can't really recommend any other types of glue.

Old 10-29-06, 04:01 PM
D
ya, be difficult to get any glue in there, let alone clean it. i guess either ignore it until it gets worse, then glue it, or put an accessorie there.

Old 10-29-06, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 899 Votes on 825 Posts
I usually dip a paper thin piece of wood (or scrap of laminate), dip it in glue, and force it into the gap as far as possible, doing that several times to try to smear glue in. You usually have enough room to do that. Then I stick that small nail into the gap to hold it open so as to get air. I would think you'd have enough room to do that. But you're right, it will be difficult.

Old 10-29-06, 05:48 PM
R
Try an electric Iron set on hot for a short time with paper betewwn the iron and the laminate. Get the laminate hot enough that you can't put your hand on it.. Remove the iron and stack books on top for the night. Good luck

Old 10-29-06, 08:17 PM
D
irons worth a try

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: