wood rot under tub/shower

Old 11-02-06, 08:25 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question wood rot under tub/shower

I have a fiberglass tub/shower with a soft spot in the floor under it. How hard is it/what is involved in getting under the tub to replace the subfloor? i'm assuming sheetrock needs to be removed around it, and plumbing fixtures removed, what about how the tub is attached to the floor?

Old 11-05-06, 03:25 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Again, no replies. This is not usually easy, without a lot of demo work. It might be possible if there access from below, but even that would not be easy. And if the shower is leaking, it needs to be fixed anyhow, so maybe it is renovation time.

Old 11-05-06, 04:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,960 Upvotes on 1,757 Posts
Many fiberglass tubs are set in mortar so that the base will be solid. It sounds to me like yours is not supported by mortar and is just getting flexible with age. I'd suspect there is no rot involved at all (unless you know there is leaking taking place) and that the tub just needs to be replaced.

Tubs usually come in pieces, so if you have a caulked joint around the tub, those are the pieces. There are 2 piece and 3 piece tubs. The tub goes in first, has a nailing flange that is covered up by the fiberglass surround, which is either one or two pieces, and also has a flange.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: