Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

Need Advice How to Shorten Kitchen Counter & Laminate

Need Advice How to Shorten Kitchen Counter & Laminate

Old 11-15-06, 07:01 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Need Advice How to Shorten Kitchen Counter & Laminate

I recently upgraded my refrigerator and got the standard 36" wide fridge. Upon delivery, I discovered that the opening between my kitchen counter and wall was not the standard 36" - it is only 35.5". Yes, my new fridge is now in the middle of my kitchen. I have never worked with countertops or laminate and need some advice on what is the best way to shorten the countertop. There is a 1" overhang, so I don't need to worry about the cabinets. However, I am concerned about chipping/breaking the laminate countertop, and damaging the wood trim. Any advice and suggestions are appreciated!

Last edited by kmm-colorado; 11-20-06 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-16-06, 05:33 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is a short learning curve.
Don't leave the iron in one place to long.

Using a hot iron, heat the end piece and with a knife or chisel began to separate it from the sub-strait.
Next remove the backer piece.
Next place a 2"+ strip of masking tape from the bullnose all the way to the top of the backsplash and scribe a line, allowing for the replacement of the end piece, the distance you need to cut. (Measure the opening at both the front and back)
Use a circular saw, 5" would be Ideal, with a 40 tooth carbide blade to make the long cuts,(do not lift the saw from the cut until the blade stops).
Use a sawzall to finish.
Yes there will be some minor wall damage, which can be easily repaired with caulk.
Trim and replace the backer material.
Use contact cement to reattach the end trim.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: