Replacing / tearing out countertop

Old 11-27-06, 02:03 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing / tearing out countertop

I am replacing my laminate countertop with a granite countertop. I can save $ by tearing out the countertop myself. Does anyone have tips on how to tear out the existing laminate countertop so that there will be minimal damage to the wall & cabinets? What tools do I need?

Old 11-27-06, 03:31 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A granite top needs perfectly level cabinets, and strong support points. Getting an old top off only takes a pro a few minutes, but leveling the cabinets can take some time. A laminate top is basically particle board or plywood with the laminate glued on. It is likely screwed or nailed in place at the corners of one or more cabinets. You should be able to see when you stick your head in one of the cabinets. If it is nailed, it can be fairly easily pried off. if screwed, you need to get the screws out.

Old 11-28-06, 04:28 AM
W
Received 65 Upvotes on 56 Posts
Removing counter tops

A cordless drill with a screwdriver bit is handy if the tops are attached with screws. In some cases a bit extension is also useful.

Remove the drawers. Look at the corner braces in the top corners of the base cabinets from underneath. If the tops are fastened with screws, that is most likely where the screws will be located.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: