removing tile from mesh and concrete

Old 12-02-06, 10:07 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
removing tile from mesh and concrete

So, we started removing tile today and discovered, much to our dismay that the tile is put on like stucco, mesh and concrete!!!!! It is very hard to remove, is there an easy way?
Thanks.

Old 12-02-06, 11:14 PM
S
There are commercial tile strippers you can rent, but it still isn't easy. I've often found the wire mesh to be a little help because, if I can get under it and keep from tearing it up too much as I go, the tile tends to come with it. I've never had much success with the tile strippers and it's normally just a lot of manual labor. Sorry.

Old 12-03-06, 07:24 AM
S
Getting the tile off has been the easy part!!!!! It is getting the concrete of the mesh that is the hard work, we were hoping that after exposing the mesh we could pull on it and all would come off, bit no!!! I guess it is just going to take us twice as long as we thought. Good job we have another bathroom!!

Old 12-03-06, 08:38 AM
S
Do you know how old the tile job is or perhaps who did it? It's possible it was done using a mud set method. If so, the concrete will be a thicker layer and it will definitely be a job. They're built to last. In any case, it's a lot of work and a spare bathroom will come in very handy. Look at the bright side, the end result will be satisfying and you'll still have more of your money 'cause you did it yourself.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: