Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

New drop in stove top too small for granite countertop opening by 1/2"...what to do?!

New drop in stove top too small for granite countertop opening by 1/2"...what to do?!

Old 12-03-06, 04:43 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question New drop in stove top too small for granite countertop opening by 1/2"...what to do?!

Hey friends

this new GE profile gas stove top is what we want to try to use...the prob is that the width is fine, but the depth is alittle short by like 1/4" - 3/8" of a gap in the back...i didnt know it would be this big of a gap, but the corners of the stovetop are rounded so i had to slide the stovetop up alittle to cover the opening and that made for a bigger gap in the rear....if we want to keep this stovetop (which we want to since there would be a 15% restocking fee (like $150!)...i was thinking i can knock out the small piece of granite in the back of the counter (approx size is 29" by 1 1/2") and replace with 29" by 2 1/2" and this would be perfect for the new stovetop)...but i cant find a place to get this for relatively inexpensive...i mean its a scrap size!...but Ideal Tile wants $135. We dont even need the smooth granite showing on on any side other than the top since it goes between the stove and back wall under the back splash.

Any idea where i can find something cheap?...I live in South Jersey..or any other ideas with what i can do without returning the stovetop.

thanks for your help
BAM

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-06, 06:39 AM
W
Have you thought about a filler piece instead of breaking out the back? Most cutouts are fairly rough so you would have to use an epoxy fill to get a smooth joint. You could probably use a strip of MDF painted to match the cooktop.

Old 12-03-06, 08:51 AM
I have the same cook top and black granite, after looking at it ,I think I would hire the stone contractor to do it, you already have invested a lot of money, it would be a shame to go cheap now, plus think of the cleaning

Old 12-04-06, 06:52 AM
B
Question can i use a filler to bridge the gap behind the stove?

wayne thanks for your response

1st, would a filler (MDF u suggested) be ok behind the stove top and glued somehow to the granite behind it...and then would it be ok for the stainless stope top to sit on the MDF..would it get too hot...thats why i thought i needed a wider granite scrap for the stove top to sit on...also, im not sure i would be able to paint the MDF the same color of the granite....its not all one color

doesnt anyone sell small granite scraps...i dont even need the glossy finish on any of the edges....just the top side....29" x 2 1/2"...why cant i find this for like $40....i mean that what the side splashes go for that go on sinks (which i dont want to use)

william tell...thank you too....actually i havent invested that much money....i just want it too look good....i'd rather pay Ideal Tile the $135 they want for the piece i need (i can put it in im sure)...if i got a stone guy out..it would cost me double or triple or so

my last question is if i do find my wider granite piece to go on the back...how do i pop out the existing piece that is 29" x 1 1/2"...each end is glued together by whatever the granite counter guys use to glue together...can i use like a rubber mallet from underneather the cabinet and will that get it out without chipping the bigger pieces on both sides of it?

thanks agin
bam

Old 12-04-06, 07:01 AM
W
Bam - Look for some granite tile at a big box. You can probably come close to matching your countertop. Just cut the tile to the required width on a wet saw and epoxy it in place. You won't get a polished edge but it should solve your problem.

I've got an electric drop in cooktop and the edges don't get hot. I don't know about gas though so MDF maight not be a good option.