acrylic tub creaks

Old 12-11-06, 06:00 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
acrylic tub creaks

A year ago I installed a new tub and surround. Being that it was our only tub/shower I was pushed to get it done. I didn't pour a concrete base as the directions said it was optional.

Now I am worried the tub will eventually crack as it creaks when you step on it after it gets warmed up from the shower. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do without tearing it out? I still have access to the back as I didn't finish the drywall yet. I was thinking maybe I could push some cement under it?

thanks

Old 12-12-06, 04:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
They say it is optional, but it ain't. You still may have a saving grace by having the back open. Get yourself a grout bag (looks like a baker's bag), and mix up some thinset and squish it into the void. You may only need to cover 4 or 5 spots in the middle, but do as much as you can, and let it set up completely. Good luck with it!

Old 12-12-06, 09:16 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks! I'll give it a try!

Old 12-13-06, 02:33 PM
V
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I read in This Old House mag that you can spray Great Stuff expanding foam insulation under the tub to help with soft tub floors. It wouldn't be as good as the grout bag for the more accessible spaces, but it might help fill some of the hard to reach spaces where you can't get the grout.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: