Replacing surround w/ std. tub. Help!

Old 12-14-06, 03:16 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing surround w/ std. tub. Help!

Hello, I am planning to remodel a bathroom that has a fiberglass surround. My wife would like it replaced with a standard tub and tile.

As far as tub materials go could you rate Acrylic, Vikrell, Veritek or Aqua Glass Gel Coat.

Also the doorway in to the room is 29 ½” wide. I see that specs on the tubs indicate 30” wide. Are the tubs actually 30” wide or is that the rough-in dimension?

If the tubs are actually 30” wide, would I more easily get a 3 or 4 pc. surround in to the room?

Thanks very much, Lee.

Old 12-15-06, 04:35 AM
J
Those tubs are all variations on the same material. A tub is roughly 30 wide, but only about 16" high, turn it on its side to go thru the door.

Some surrounds are fastened directly to the studs, no drywall or anything, some go over drywall or backer board. For tile, you should use duroc or hardibacker, which will fit over the lip of the tub. Use thinset for the tile, not mastic.

If this is your first attempt at this type project, pick up some books at homes stores and study up. Tile is very versatile as a decorating medium, limited only to imagination, but a poor job can ruin it quickly.

Old 12-17-06, 10:18 AM
L
Just Bill, thank you very much for the advice. I purchased an Americast Princeton tub. The Lowe's sale guy said it is very durable and as stong as cast iron with considerably less weight. So I’ll be moving forward with demo and installation of tub and tile soon.

One interesting thing he mentioned is that I don’t have to do a mortar base for the Americast tub, but when you use a Vikrell or acrylic tub, he just puts down sheetrock mud as a base. What do you think of that?

Lee.

Old 12-19-06, 11:25 AM
L
Well after some research I found too many negative opinions about the Americast tub, so I lugged it back to the store. I am trying to decide between Sterling Vykrell and Lasco Montecito (lucite cast acrylic surface). Reading the forum I see that Doug rally likes Lasco. Can someone give me some comments on the durablity factor of Vykrell versus lucite cast acrylic.

Thank you
Lee

Old 12-21-06, 03:40 PM
L
Questions…
I intend to buy the Lasco 6030AIS 30” deep tub. I downloaded the specs on it and it has an overall depth of 31 ¼”, a net depth of 30”, and a rough center of 14”. I tore out my old Sterling fiberglass surround and it measured about 28 ½” deep and 14” from the wall to the center of the drain. I thought that I needed a 15” drain center for a 30” tub? Will I have to move the drain center for the Lasco tub I want?

In addition the back wall of this 3 wall alcove is the wall of the house (oxboard), there is no 2 x 4 frame. Can I attach a vapor barrier to the oxboard, harbibacker to the vapor barrier and tile on top?

Old 12-22-06, 08:58 AM
V
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
put down mortar. Its not any harder to do than that advice on sheet rock joint compound and less subject to the water damage.

Old 12-28-06, 10:24 AM
H
im starting the ame project.
Im worried about tearing out that POS fiberglass surround dtub.

Question, I thought Amercian standard are decent tube no? Should I not buy one and look for a Lasco? Does HD carry Lasco??

Old 12-28-06, 03:50 PM
L
Mine was a POS too! I'm a rookie, I already tore mine out, destroyed it with a sawzall and hammer, don't worry, that was the easy part. I only made one mistake and cut through a 1x4, but that's minor. I punched holes with the hammer so i could see what I was doin with the sawzall.

I searched on "americast" and found enough negative things to make me haul it back to the store. Some will tell you it's good. HD has Lasco, Lowes has Sterling. Cosmetically I like the Lasco best, but i am going with Sterling cause they have the narrowest. PM me for other details.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: