Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Designing Kitchens and Bathrooms
Reload this Page >

bathroom exhaust fan location, ceiling or outside wall?

Old 12-19-06, 11:25 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I need to decide which is the better location for installing a bathroom exhaust fan, looking for opinions from anyone with experience in either of these two installations:

1) Side wall install over bathroom window:

This seems like the easiest, but the outside wall is stucco and vents to covered patio.

2) Ceiling Install:

Requires cutting access hole in roof, roof is old and worn, concerned about creating a leak problem.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 12-19-06, 03:30 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I prefer ceiling mount, but it could vent to a gable end, if the run is not too long. Installing it over a window is not good, especially if you ever open the window. There are some good roof caps for exhaust fans, look around.

Old 12-19-06, 04:51 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Much easier to run wiring in the ceiling (attic access) than an existing wall......

Old 12-19-06, 05:54 PM
W
Received 36 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I think the exhaust is most efficient when it is located at the highest point in the room. I wouldn't worry too much about creating a roof leak. You can purchase an exhaust vent boot at most home centers. They're pretty easy to install.

Old 12-20-06, 03:53 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I agree with the ceiling mount. Don't forget, installing over a window will surely cause you to cut into the header, which is solid from the inside to out, and you will weaken the header by doing so.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: