Removing Overspray Paint on Refrigerator

Old 12-20-06, 07:23 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Removing Overspray Paint on Refrigerator

Picked up a used unit and the brilliant paint crew oversprayed my black fridge with tiny white specs. Is there a good (and safe to the finish) cleaner that would make my life easier than rubbing it to death?

Old 12-20-06, 07:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,979 Upvotes on 1,774 Posts
It's probably important to know what type of paint it was- oil or latex. Paint thinner would be safe to use on oil based paint, as would any of the ones mentioned below.

For latex paint, you could try goo gone, which is pretty mild, or Goof-off which is a little stronger and stinks a lot more. Keep in mind that any paint you fleck off will contain abrasives (the pigment in the paint specks could be like sandpaper grit on your rag) so I'd use caution and test cleaning an inconspicuous place first. (I sound like the label on a can, don't I?) I think there's also a cleaner called oops.

Alternatively, if the paint is still fresh, you could also try a plastic dish scraper and see if the paint specs will just scrape off. Again, use caution until you determine whether or not this will scratch your finish.

Old 12-20-06, 08:22 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,290 Upvotes on 1,228 Posts
Oops! is the solvent I'd try first if the paint you want to remove is latex. I buy it at walmart. As long as the paint's still recent, you might also have good luck with a mr. clean magic eraser.

Old 12-20-06, 11:23 PM
Thumbs up

Great suggetions by the others. You rest assure that they wont reck the paint. Appliance manufactures powder coat the exteriors of fridges and stoves to handles years of abuse. most retail cleaners like the ones mentioned wont harm them. dont worry been there done that. Hope your elbows are greased up!!! hehe have fun

Old 12-21-06, 04:29 AM
D
Thanks guys, great feedback. I had already tried a Mr Clean Eraser, with a bit too much elbow grease required. I'll give the Opps a shot next, then try a solvent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: