Step-down Shower Design Requirements

Old 12-27-06, 05:59 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Step-down Shower Design Requirements

Hello,

We live in an old house. I would like to use an existing (although rather old) basement floor cutout for a shower. The cutout is almost exactly 42x36 with a 7" rise. I suspect it was used for a shower cutout in the past.

* I am looking for any books with design guides or recommendations for recessed showers. I have not been able to find much more than pictures of fancy houses.

* What codes are particularly relevant? Although it is technically grandfathered in, I'd like to update it as much as possible.

Steve

Old 12-28-06, 04:29 AM
J
The addition of a shower where one was not present is not grandfathered, it must meet current code. And once you begin changing/upgrading, grandfather leaves anyhow. What you propose could be a little tricky using gravity drains, depending on how your plumbing runs. If the shower drain is below the house drain...........water runs downhill, not pretty if the shower is downhill. You might need a gray water pump.

Old 12-28-06, 05:26 AM
S
Hello,

The drain line is still a good 12" below the base of the shower drain. The main drain line runs almost directly under the shower drain.

Steve

Old 12-28-06, 04:12 PM
J
Then go for it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: