Drawer Slide Install on Face Frame Cabinets

Old 12-27-06, 08:06 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Drawer Slide Install on Face Frame Cabinets

I am in the process of a minor update in our kitchen... painting cabinets, frames, drawer fronts, replacing hardware, etc.

I would like to replace the center mounted el cheapo guides with side or bottom mounted drawer slides. My problem is that the cabinets are of face-frame design and there is very little clearance between the side of the drawers and the frame. Of course another problem is that there is no frame behind the face frame, just open space, but I figure I could add some supports in the back.

Since most of the drawer slides I have looked at require at least 1/2" of side clearance, would it be possible or practical to cut a rectangular relief in the face frame to provide the slides room to be mounted and function? The drawer fronts overlap by nearly an inch on each side, so the slot wouldn't be visible when the drawer was open. The only other option I can see is to rebuild the drawers.

Any advice will be very welcome. These drawers have been bugging me for some time now! Thanks.

JimC

Old 12-27-06, 09:18 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Or, widen the drawer opening 1/4" each side and install a 1X front to back rail to mount the new guides to.

Old 12-28-06, 04:55 AM
W
Received 36 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Jim - You can relieve the face frame enough to accept bottom mounted slides. Just mortise to a depth of the slide thickness, probably no more than 1/16". I used drawer slide sockets at the back of the cabinet to support the other end. They're available at home centers, usually in the same display as the slides.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: