Shower bar for Safety

Old 12-28-06, 07:36 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Shower bar for Safety

My grandmother needs a grab bar installed in her shower. The problem I am having is decideing how to best mount it.

The first thing I tried was to locate some studs. My stud finder went buggo when it hit the tile. It works fine on the sheetrock nearby. However the tile goes all the way up to the cieling. There for I cannot tell where a stud is. I was toying with the idea of either using hollow wall anchors, such as toggles. Or perhaps some JB Weld. I am just not sure that the wall itself would be a strong enough support.

Has anybody got any ideas on how to find a stud when it is all just simple tile?

Old 12-29-06, 04:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You will probably need to use the deep scan feature of the stud finder. If not available, go to the opposite side of the wall, and see where the studs are, and take good measurements to transfer them to the shower wall. I would not rely on the strength of wing toggles (although they are provided often) or glue.

Old 12-29-06, 04:59 AM
J
What chandler said, find a stud, anchors will not be good enough.

Old 12-29-06, 05:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 721 Upvotes on 632 Posts
me three, when you need the assist of a grab bar you want to be sure it will hold!!

Old 12-29-06, 07:02 AM
P
The strang thing is my stud finder has the deep scan feature. It just simply starts flashing all of its lights as an error. I will try the opposite side to locate the studs.

Old 12-29-06, 03:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Your batteries are getting weak. Mine does that on regular scan if I fail to change the battery regularly. Going to deep scan works for me until I get a battery. IN addition, move the unit very slowly over the tile. The grout line is giving it a false reading if you move too fast.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: