Thin Set Removal from Ceramic tile

Old 01-04-07, 12:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool Thin Set Removal from Ceramic tile

I just finish laying ceramic tile on the walls and floor in the Master bathroom. Now the process of grouting it all begins. But I have notice that in some area that the thin set was layed on to thick and has forum up in between the tiles and dried. Is there anyway to remove the thin set between the tiles or can i just use a grout removel kit with my dremel to do this. Any suggestion is greatly appretionated.
Thanks
hvactech5

Old 01-04-07, 01:01 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Removing the thinset that purges from between the tile is best done immediately. I know, I know - too late for that. You need to remove as much of that thinset as possible. The general rule of thumb is to remove at least two thirds the depth of the tile. You can do this with a utility knife or a carbide grout removal tool. After you get the bulk of the thinset out of the joints, make sure you clean all the thinset off the edges of the tile as well. You can do this with a damp sponge and some "elbow grease". If you decide to go that dremel route be aware that it will be difficult not to damage the edges of the tile. I have found that if you get to it in a day or so after you set the tile that a utility knife works pretty good for this and wont take all that much time to do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: