Base cabinets and hardwood floor

Old 01-09-07, 10:11 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Base cabinets and hardwood floor

We're planning a kitchen remodel and intend to install hardwood floors, along with cabinets. I've read several opinions on whether you should lay the floors before or after installing cabinets. Obviously, the issue is accomodating appliances with the 3/4" floor. I'd like to install the cabinets first, but if this is not the way to go, than I'll certainly go with the floor first.

Shimming the cabinets 3/4" seems like it would be unstable. Is it possible to build a heightened support base out of ripped 1x3's or a similar material for the cabinets to sit on?

Old 01-10-07, 04:09 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You can just install the cabinets on the subfloor, then install the flooring up to the cabinets. Or install them on a piece of plywood cut to fit under.

Old 01-10-07, 05:08 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,948 Upvotes on 1,748 Posts
Shimming the cabinets up is the way to go. Either by using small blocks, 1x3's or plywood cutouts, as justbill mentioned. The flooring can extend into the oven, dishwasher and refrigerator areas. This will keep the countertop at the standard height from the finished floor, and will not reduce the size of your kickpanels by 3/4.

Old 01-10-07, 08:33 AM
W
Received 24 Upvotes on 20 Posts
I put down 3/4" plywood under the cabinet footprints. I left the front edge of the plywood a couple of inches short of the cabinet toekick. I put down the hardwood floor before I installed the base cabinets. The plywood matched the height of the hardwood and the only shimming I had to do was for level.
The plywood I used was leftover from my subfloor. Originally I intended on using hardwood for the entire floor and installing the cabinets on it. Then I came to my senses and realized I could save a few bucks and still have a solid cabinet foundation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: