inexpensive bathroom remodel

Old 01-16-07, 04:39 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
inexpensive bathroom remodel

I have a boring plain white bathroom. I have seem some people replace everything in the bathroom to update the bathroom. I think that is too expensive and can be a challenge for a DIYer. I am thinking about replacing some white tiles with color tiles to form pattern(art skill is helpful). I will replace toilet seat(instead of the entire toilet). I will upgrade the mirror. any other idea I can use?

Old 01-16-07, 04:45 PM
D
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
What about the walls? What color is it? Perhaps you can repaint. Is it white too? You surely can splash some color there.
The tiles are on the floor?

Old 01-16-07, 04:55 PM
C
Outside the tub, tiles are only on the floor. Inside the tub, tiles are 4 feet up from the tub. I will repaint the bathroom but I don't know what kind of paint to use in a bathroom. There is a windows and I will probably paint it too.

Old 01-16-07, 07:46 PM
W
For trim I like Sherwin Williams pro classic acrylic enamal. It's waterbase so it's no odor and easy water clean up. I'm sure there are other good paints for that environment at HD or Lowes.

Kilz Premium Primer is also very good if you need to cover up color or stains.

Old 01-16-07, 08:10 PM
D
You can even change the fixtures. Like for instance the toilet paper holder, towel holders if you have them. Bath accessories like soap, towels 'n' things can add quite a difference too And/or even putting a plant in there will make it more "lively" if there's room in there somewhere.

Old 01-16-07, 08:30 PM
T
Color is the least expensive update. New window treatment and shower curtain. Replacing tiles to add color is not an easy DIY project. Toss a colorful rug that coordinates with the other colors you will be using. If fixtures are in good shape, like you say, buy a new toilet seat. If there is a bare wall display a picture. It does not have to be expensive, just as long as it has your colors in it. Sometimes you can find reproductions of classic paintings at discount stores. If the wall is bare above the toilet, this is a great place to hang a picture. A new wastebasket on one side of the toilet if room. Some new guest towels. Perhaps some new accessories on the vanity to complement your color scheme. Remember white is a neutral and everything goes with white.

You can look at magazines and catalogs and get ideas for color schemes and accessories. Walk through bath departments at stores and look at all the color coordinated towels, rugs, shower curtains and study the colors.

What other colors do you have in your home? Are you working with a color scheme? Sage green is hot. A variety of golds. Terra cotta is hot. Colors of the sea--blues and greens. Rusty reds are hot. Lots of people are drooling over chocolate. Is this the only bath in the hall? Master bath? Guest bath? If master bath, what colors are in your bedroom. If you have a comforter, it's a ready palette of colors from which to choose to color coordinate master bath and bedroom. If it is the hall bath, perhaps cross pollinating the colors out of the livingroom into the bathroom where guests will go will provide you some continuity of color.

Oh, yes. You can update ceiling light fixture. An expensive little chandelier might be a touch of class if that's your style. What is your style?

Dated light bars with those baseball shaped lights are out. Pretty mirrors above the sink instead of bulky medicine cabinets and big sheet mirrors.

You don't have to spend $1000's or make your bathroom look like a fancy spa with all those things we see on HGTV. You can find lots of pretty things on clearance sales and at discount stores. Simplicity is wonderful. Pull off your sophistication and drama with color!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: