How to remove tub/shower combo

Old 01-17-07, 06:14 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to remove tub/shower combo

My grandkids have made a hole in the bottom of my fiberglass one piece shower/tub. It was old and outdated anyway and I am going to replace it. I called Re-Bath company to see what they could do and they said they can't put a new tub over the fiberglass, it's too weak. They said they would take out the old one piece tub/shower, put in a new tub and wall surround. This will take two days and cost $2,400. I thought this was an insane cost so I will do it myself.
What I need is instructions for removing the old one piece tub/shower. Will have to be cut up first. Then how do I put the new tub in. I think I can do the tub surround part okay. Any surprises under the old tub that I need to know about as I rip it out? The tub sits over a crawl space which is probably where I have to loosen the tub drain. Any help or how to instructions to do this will be helpful. Thanks so much.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-07, 06:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 256 Votes on 226 Posts
As you know the tub will need to come out in pieces. The 1 piece units are set on the floor prior to walls going up and then nailed to the studs after they go up. The nails will be under the drywall along the sides and top. It will have to be replaced with a multi piece tub/shower.

Have considered getting it repaired? Tub repairs aren't cheap but are cheaper than replacing.