Caulking....What a mess!

Old 01-21-07, 09:57 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Caulking....What a mess!

Mods - feel free to move this where it may be more appropriate - this topic as likely been addressed before and could be posted under a number of headers ...

Can anyone provide a few tips on the art of caulking? I always use too wide a bead, it's usually unevern, blotchy, and always looks as thought my 3 yr old son did the job. I assume there are a few tricks / tips on applying either silicaone or latex caulks. I understand proper prep is needed - my quesion is more on how to run a professional bead

If I've missed a previous post on this topic, a link would be appreciated

thanks all!

Old 01-21-07, 10:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It takes practice. If using a caulking gun you need to spend a little extra and get the type that automatically releases the pressure so the caulk stops coming out when you release the trigger. Cut the tip as small as you can so the bead is not as large. If using latex I run my finger over the bead to smooth it out. You need to keep wiping your finger clean and you can also try keeping you finger wet. If using silicone I use paint thinner to wet my finger. Hope this helps and the pros will have more advice.

Old 01-21-07, 10:54 AM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
If you dont do caulking often, it can be a bear to do a good job.

Start by laying strips of blue painters tape on either side of the joint you are caulking. Make the space between the two pieces of tape the exact size you want the caulk joint to be. Cut the tip of the caulk cartridge at an angle, to the size you want the bead to be. Remember you can always cut more off if the bead is too small, but if its too big it'll be a mess. Push the caulk gun instead of pulling it away. Youll have better control this way. Wet your index finger and tool the joint smooth. Remove the tape on both sides immediately. The tape may leave slight ridges on either side of the caulk joint. Wet your index finger and tool the joint one more time. There your done, a perfect joint, it looks good doesnt it.

Old 01-21-07, 02:21 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 359 Votes on 316 Posts
Having a good caulking gun can also be benificial but I doubt there is a good substitute for practice/experience. The neater you apply the caulk the easier it is to wipe it smooth [and with less mess] Personally I pull the bead to me more often than I push it away but [for me] it mostly depends on my position realitve to what is being caulked.

Old 01-21-07, 08:48 PM
N
Thanks for the great tips, very much appreciated! I'll give it a try tomorrow when re-caulking the tub.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: