Grab Bars

Old 01-22-07, 01:58 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grab Bars

I want to install two (2) grab bars on a tub enclosure (tile).
Are there any guidelines regarding size/length of the bars, and should they be horizontal, vertical, or at an angle? Where exactly should they be placed? I assume one goes on the side and one at the foot end?

Thanks a lot.

Old 01-22-07, 02:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Placement of the grab bars, as well as their length will be dictated by the infrastructure underneath. You must hit a stud with the screws. Suffice it to say, if your studs are 16" oc, then a 16", 32" or 48" will hit directly on a stud. However if you only want a 24" bar, you may have to angle it slightly (I like it better anyway) for the ends to hit directly on a 16"oc stud set up. Usually there are bars on the long side of a tub, and on the foot end (opposite the controls), but I also like to install one just outside the tub, vertically so when you step out you will have something to hold onto to keep your balance. It may sound like overkill, but I have even installed them as towel bars. What's the first thing you grab if you slip and see a flimsy towel bar? Right? It comes out of the wall. The properly installed grab bar won't.
Hope it wasn't too wordy, and if you have any more questions, let us know.

Old 01-23-07, 11:44 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Grab Bars

We use our enclosure as a shower. We installed two 16" grab bars. One is vertical and just inside the curtain at the opposite end from where the shower curtain ends up when it is opened to aid in entering and exiting. The other is horizontal and centered on the long wall about 32 inches above the floor. This arrangement works well for us. Like Chandler said, be sure to attach to studs. Use some silicon sealant under the screws to keep water from penetrating the wall.

Old 01-27-07, 08:03 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hitting a stud is hard when trying to install grab bars. The best thing you can do is open up the wall behind (if possible) and add some plywood or solid blocking so you can locate the grab bars where you need them.

If you want to use a grab bar to help someone get up from a sitting position, an angled one at a lower elevation is a good idea.

If you want to give someone the opportunity to grab someting as they get in and out of the tub, a horizontal or vertical one at the back wall of the tub is also handy.

A properly (code) installed grab bar should be able to support 200 lbs of force downwards.

Old 01-27-07, 12:01 PM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Studs

Use a stud finder to locate the studs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: