Add a bathroom exhaust fan with no attic

Old 01-22-07, 08:04 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Add a bathroom exhaust fan with no attic

When we built our house, the builder did not install an exhaust fan in our master shower room. I would like to install an exhaust fan myself, however, since the builder extended the vaulted ceiling from our sink area into our shower room, there is no attic space above our shower room. The ceiling of our shower room is the same shape as the roof of the house so there is no way there is attic space above my shower room. Also, the only vent that I can see from our shower room is the vent for the stool (black pipe).

I thought an exhaust fan in a shower room must have a vent to the outside of the house connected to it in order to take the moisture all the way outside of the house.

If I install an exhaust fan, what is the best way to do it in order to do it right? Will have to install the vent in the roof a long with the exhaust fan? Are there other alternatives to an exhaust fan to get the moisture out of the room in order to eleviate mold and mildue other than opening a window?

Any and all information will be deeply appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

Old 01-27-07, 08:21 AM
S
You're not required to install a fan in a ceiling. There are fan units that can either be mounted in a ceiling or a wall, and just vented directly through the wall to the outside with basically no ductwork. Find a location near the top of the vertical wall (near where the angled ceiling starts) and take out a section of gypsum board across a couple of studs. If you cut and remove it carefully, you can put the same piece back with a little mud and tape.

Look at Home Depot's website SKU 807703. This fan can be mounted either in a wall or a ceiling. Find a place in the wall to do it that's innocuous, like just under an eave soffit.

Old 01-27-07, 10:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
A bathroom is required to have an exhaust fan if there are no windows, per the building codes

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 01-27-07 at 10:48 AM. Reason: not NEC code, but rather building codes.
Old 01-27-07, 10:35 AM
J
It's funny how the codes have become so detailed that we have to be "protected" from our own stink. I love big government.

Anyway, Lowes and Home Depot sell bathroom exhaust fans. They mount right in the ceiling. You should not need attic space as they are not very deep at all - like 3 or 4 inches. To the back (upper) side of the fan is a place to connect a vent tube to go up through the roof.

Old 01-27-07, 11:04 AM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
"It's funny how the codes have become so detailed that we have to be "protected" from our own stink."

Why not? They tell us how much water we can use to flush.

Yeah! I know why the exhaust is there but Jeff's point is well taken.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: