Another dishwasher end panel question

Old 02-05-07, 07:23 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Another dishwasher end panel question

If this has already been answered, I'm sorry but I couldn't find quite what I was looking for in previous posts. Part of our kitchen remodel is to install new cabinets and a dishwasher. The dishwasher is at the end of the counter run so we purchased an end panel. I've read in several posts that you only need to secure the end panel to the wall and floor with angle brackets. I'm concerned about this because the end panel is made with 1/2 particle board which seems pretty flimsy to me. Can angle brackets attached to particle board really provide enough support for a granite countertop? Is there a better way to install this panel that will also provide the support needed? Thanks in advance for any advice you can give us.

Old 02-05-07, 10:00 AM
W
Received 65 Upvotes on 56 Posts
End Panel

The end panel sets on the floor. When installed, it's top must be level with the other base cabinet tops on the other side of the dishwasher. If necessary, the panel will need to be shimmed at the floor to make it level. It then transfers the weight of the counter top to the floor. This is the horizontal support for the counter top. The angle brackets are metal L-shaped brackets used to attach the panel to the wall and the floor once it is plumb and level. The panel will also be attached to the counter top. Hope all this makes sense. Good luck.

Old 02-05-07, 10:06 AM
K
still confused

That all makes sense but it still doesn't answer my question about whether the particle board will be strong enough to hold screws in the brackets. Our cabinets are all made out of the same stuff and just skidding them around on the floor has broken off some small corner pieces of the board. Should there be some other kind of frame structure created between the dishwasher and the end panel to add support?

Old 02-05-07, 10:11 AM
W
Received 65 Upvotes on 56 Posts
End panel

You can beef up the panel with some wood cleats glued and nailed to the panel. Once the glue dries, attach the brackets. Be careful that the cleats do not interfere with the installation of the dishwasher.

Old 02-05-07, 10:25 AM
K
Smile Thanks!

I didn't think about gluing anything to the board. That sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: