how to set the shower drain?

Old 02-05-07, 07:33 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how to set the shower drain?

i am pouring my own mud base for an eventual ceramic tile shower stall. i am following the steps listed at ontariotile.com/preslope.

i don't know how to set the drain assembly to the 2" pvc riser that comes up through the plywood base from the crawlspace below.

i drilled a 3" hole with a hole saw and when i set the drain assembly on it, top of the flange sits about 1 1/2 above the plywood deck. when i look at the pictures on ontariotile.com, i can't tell if this is where it should be.

the drain assembly itself has the receivers for the 4 bolts. these receivers (bolt receptacles) are watertight and are square at the bottom. should they be sitting directly on the plywood. that would have the drain assembly be about 1/2 inch above the plywood.

help, i don't know what to do.

thanks

Old 02-05-07, 12:41 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Robert

Check this out. It gives a pretty good picture of what things should look like and how high to set the drain.

http://www.oatey.com/shower_drains/lit/Shower%20Pan%20Liner.pdf

If you still have questions, come back and ask away.

Old 02-05-07, 05:20 PM
R
that is going to help a lot. i'll look it over tonight and get back to you with more questions

the bolt hole receivers are actually shown as installed below the plywood deck. i was going to install them above which would have the drain too far off the deck.

i am not using an oatey drain but i will check the drain i am using and cut the right size hold so that the bolt receivers are below deck.

thanks

Old 02-06-07, 05:56 AM
H
Robert

Google the drain that you have. Most manufacturers have websites with installation instructions for their products.

Old 02-06-07, 06:30 AM
R
will do.

one thing i don't understand yet is when i pour the second layer of mortar over the membrane, how close to the screw down drain do i pour it? right up next to it?

also, i don't have my tile yet so i don't know the finished height of the floor base with the thinset. is there a way to adjust the drain or once i pour the mortar, will it be permanent?

thanks

Old 02-06-07, 07:54 AM
R
i have been searching the internet for installation instructions but i can't find any for the Plumbest D50-PLP.

any ideas where i can get them?

Old 02-06-07, 08:45 AM
H
I did a google and couldnt find anything on it either, but it shouldnt be any different than any of the other drains. You want the mud preslope to be a minimum of 5/8" to 3/4" at the drain base, so you want the top of the drain base to be at that height. Pick out the tile first so you know what the proper thickness is. You can still adjust the drain height while the mud is fresh, but may not be able to once it gets hard. Some of these drains have a reversable clamping ring so you have the necessary flexibility to get the finished drain to the proper height. I like my final mudbed to be approx 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" at the drain. Pack the mud right upto the drain. Use pea gravel around the weep holes in the drain to prevent the mud from clogging them.

Old 02-06-07, 09:03 AM
R
when you say 5/8 to 3/4" at drain base, you mean the drain flange? you obviously aren't talking about the top of the drain itself.

my concern with that plays into the other question i asked you for which you sent me the oakey instructions. the lip on that flange, if i set it flush with the plywood base, can't be more than 1/4" off of the plywood (maybe less).

so, what should i do.

to repeat: the flange has bolt receptacles that look like mini-feet and when i first looked at them, i thought they must rest on the plywood which would make the drain flange stick up 1-2" above the plywood. i thought that was too much. when i look at the oakey instructions, it shows those bolt receptacles as being installed below deck. So, if the flange is mounted flush with the plywood, i don't believe there is going to be as much height there as you said you prefer (5/8 to 3/4)

any recommendations?

Old 02-06-07, 11:48 AM
H
Robert

You can rest the little feet on the plywood and the 1/2" is probably ok. You can also have the drain base (or flange as you call it) a little off the plywood and force mud under it. The idea with the mud is if its too thin at the drain it tends to crack. Some people put admix in the mud when its that thin to prevent the cracking. I just try to make mine a little higher so the mud is a little thicker at the drain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: