Lexan or Plexiglass for Shower Door

Old 02-09-07, 09:09 AM
J
JP3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Lexan or Plexiglass for Shower Door

I want to fabricate a shower door that measures 45" wide by 24" high. (Sort of a 1/2 door.)

Based on my research, glass is too heavy. Which would be better 1/2" plexigalss of 1/2" lexan?

I want the door to be framelss, so I'll need to sand the edges. Also, I'll need to cut a "U" section out for the hinges (1.5" wide x 2.5" tall) for both hinges.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by JP3; 02-09-07 at 01:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-09-07, 03:53 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plexiglass is brittler than Lexan. This means it doesn't scratch so easily, and is probably your second best option (glass the first). It's also cheaper than Lexan.

Is there really no elegant means of designing/securing that door so glass can be used?

What you're trying to build is an engineering marvel. Also a huge swing into the bathroom floorspace. Maybe rethink if what you really need is a swinging door.

Old 02-10-07, 04:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
You aren't seriously considering 1/2" lexan, are you? That is bordering on bullet proofness. And 1/2" lexan will weigh about what a sheet of 1/4" tempered glass will weigh. If your frame will handle the 1/2", it will handle the 1/4" glass.
And, like Kobuchi, you will be much better served by a sliding door, as the intrusion of this size door (not to mention the hinge weight) will be horrible. But good luck if you can get it working. Post back if we can help further.

Old 02-10-07, 06:10 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
a 1/2" sheet, 2'x4' will weigh on the order of 30 lbs, and cost you WELL over $100 (an 1/8" sheet is about $100). If your local glass house doesn't have it you will have to order it, due to it's size you will then pay freight, which could equal the cost of the plastic itself.

Glass can be drilled to accept hinges and then heat treated.
A piece of 1/8" glass is less than 15 lbs.

Best bet is to call your local glass company and ask for some quotes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: