gap between bath tub and wall

Old 02-10-07, 11:06 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
gap between bath tub and wall

Hi - I'm new to this forum so please bear with me!

I have just gutted my previous bathroom and now re-installing a new bath suite. I have positioned the new bath tub (1700x700) in the corner of the room, however, the bath touches one end of the wall but not the other (there is a gap of approx 15mm on one end).

I was previously informed by a friend that I should seal the tub before tiling, however, would silicon sealent be sufficient for a 15mm gap or do I need to re-plaster to get the walls at perfect right-angles ?

Thanks for your help in advance

Old 02-10-07, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I would personally try to center the tub so you only have 7.5 mm on either end, then install in some sort of backer rod or shim in the gap before caulking. At that point you are *probably* okay but I will hold my tounge if other more knowlegable DIY members know better :-)

PS Welcome to the group!

Old 02-10-07, 12:49 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
You through me off with the 15mm thing. Im used to inches. I think thats around 5/8" or so. If not, help me out. If thats the case, you need to add firring strips to the studs to bring the wall out to the tub. Caulk is not gonna do it.

Old 02-10-07, 12:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
When you are done shimming the gap, and before caulking, fill the tub with water, then caulk. You do not want to caulk, then fill or else this will disbond the caulking.

You want the full weight of the tub with water prior to sealing.

Old 02-10-07, 01:17 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Is this a shower over tub or just a tub? If its also a shower and will have tile walls use 1/2" cement board. Whatever you use as a wallboard should overhang the tub flange on the sides of the tub that are against the walls. This is why you need to fir out the studs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: