what kind of mud do i buy?

Old 02-10-07, 03:00 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Indiana (formerly Massachusetts)
Posts: 318
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
what kind of mud do i buy?


i couldnt find my previous post but this is a follow up question. i am building a custom ceramic tile shower stall and i am pouring the mud base.

what kind of mud do i get?

i went to lowes and looked for "high strength floor mortar" and "floor mud" but i couldn't find anything with that name. they tried to get me to use some stuff in the flooring dept called henry 438. i don't know what that is.

what i did see was:

1) sand/cement topping mix

2) quickrete underlayment

if you can give me the exact name, i would appreciate it.

also, i am supposed to use a latex additive. i could only find a ceramic fortifier. are they the same things?

Old 02-11-07, 06:40 AM
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 3,279
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts

Deck mud is a mix of 1 part portland cement to 4 to 5 parts sand. You can use the sand topping mix which is approx a 1 portland 3 sand, and add more sand to get to a 4 to 1 mix. Dry mix it before you add water. Deck mud has to be mixed very dry, just enough water added to the mix so that it will hold together in a ball when you squeeze it with your hand. Some custom tile stores carry bagged deck mud, but Ive never seen it at Lowes or HD. Its not a big deal to mix yourself.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: