want to find/build rolling pantry shelves

Old 02-12-07, 11:44 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question want to find/build rolling pantry shelves

I'm planning a remodel of our kitchen pantry area and want to have shelving that can be pulled partially out of a space much like books can be pulled out of a bookcase. I'm thinking of shelves that are around 12 inches wide 2-4 feet deep and 4-8 ft high. My idea is that they would roll out of the space on some kind of track system on the floor (or ceiling). I'm trying to eliminate wasted space and shelving that is sized so that you can't reach what's in the back without unloading the shelf. Does anyone know of such a system or of hardware that can be used for the idea?

Old 02-12-07, 04:28 PM
W
Received 66 Upvotes on 57 Posts
Pantry

Your description sounds like a bookcase on wheels. Check out simple casters. Be aware of the weight capacity when choosing the size wheels you want to use. Sounds like a neat system. Good luck with your project.

Old 02-21-07, 07:41 AM
R
thanks

Appreciate your comments. Right now I'm thinking full suspension drawer pulls to stabilize side to side motion and casters to help bear the weight. If they wind up not touching the ground maybe I'll use something like a closet door sliding system to help with the weight. Then again, maybe the drawer pulls will be enough.

Old 02-21-07, 08:25 AM
W
Received 35 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Hey "retiredandhappy" Me too!

If I read your post right, you are looking to build moveable pantry shelving for storing can goods etc. I think most of the semicustom cabinet makers sell that sort of thing. Next time you're in one of the big boxes stop by their kitchen display and peruse their catalogs for some ideas.

Old 02-21-07, 08:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 266 Upvotes on 217 Posts
Rockler.com has the hardware as well.

Old 02-23-07, 01:30 PM
R
Smile thanks all

Rockler rocks! I found what hardware I need to make my ideas possible. Now I just have to convince my wife that all my ideas aren't kooky. :-)

Old 02-23-07, 02:21 PM
C
Word of caution on the weight

I had a unit like that, was a large bottom cupboard with a full pull cabinet with 3 shelves that pulled out sideways. It was mounted with 2 metal interlocking sliders on the bottom. Problem was that the unit was too heavy so if it was pulled out more than 1/2 way it tried tilting forward and could come off the rails. I ended up replacing it with individual pull out baskets.
My kitchen designer that did my last kitchen had a nice unit with roll out stainless steel mesh baskets. This gives you the ability to see whats there, without all the stuff falling off the shelves.

Old 02-26-07, 08:29 AM
R
Thanks Condogirl for the warning.

Do you remember if you exceeded the weight limit of the hardware or is the limit just wishful thinking?

Old 02-26-07, 02:14 PM
C
Don't know the spec.s on the hardware

The one I had was there when I moved in so it could have just been they used the wrong hardware. Plus it was right next to the entrance door, so it blocked the entrance when out.
I have seen them on design shows for a full height, narrow pantry and they do look good.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: