Granite Countertops

Old 02-16-07, 09:21 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Granite Countertops

From reading online I have come to the conclusion that tile counter tops are not a very good idea. The problems with them seem to be
1. The grout lines
2. The facing edge dressing

My question is, if I was to used a natural stone like granite, and I used only a 1/16 inch grout line, would I avoid most of the grout line problems?
For the edges, if I was to miter the corners do you think that would be a sufficient edge dressing?

I have also read about a product called Benissimo which is a modular counter top that actually fits together to create an "almost" flat surface. Is this system a viable solution?

Finally, could I use regular granite tile for the "field" tiles on the counter top, and the benissimo edge tiles for edges?

Any advice would be apprieciated

Old 02-16-07, 02:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Tile grout does not make good friends with coffee, and other messy spills, no matter how well you seal it. Granite is a good surface, but don't be swayed by its alleged imperviousness to stains or burns, as it will stain and it will burn if you put a hot pot on it, thereby ruining it. If you are looking to do this yourself, try looking at the travertine tile. You can use a minimal grout line, or apply a light amount of clear silicone between the joints before you slam them together, to create a good water seal, wiping off the excess.
As far as the edges, you could always apply a good hardwood banding, which will set off the stone really well. I wouldn't try to apply any type of tile to the edges in such a high traffic area.

Old 02-16-07, 07:51 PM
N
I went with a stone tile counter top only I used marble rather than granite. I allowed a 1/16" grout line and because i used a black marble tile, I used a charcoal colored grout - 2 days later I sealed it. With the dark grout line, I believe I'll avoid some of the staining issues people refer to. I can see a light grout being an issue at some point. As for the front edge, I used a wood trim the same color as my cabinets - I also capped the back splash in the same trim - everyone who has seen it, likes it. If you want, I can send pic's if you're interested - PM me a email address.
One thing for certain, tiling will save you several thousand $'s over a solid top - I understand the tile is not as professional as a solid top, however IMO, the cost savings out weighed this point.

Old 02-17-07, 05:43 AM
Great! You can pm anyone on the forum by clicking on their name, but share the pictures with the entire forum. We all like seeing the results of satisfied doityourselfer projects.

Old 02-17-07, 07:52 PM
N
Originally Posted by chandler
Great! You can pm anyone on the forum by clicking on their name, but share the pictures with the entire forum. We all like seeing the results of satisfied doityourselfer projects.
How do you share pics? I noticed at the bottom of the page that I can't post attachments.

Old 02-17-07, 08:08 PM
T
bbcac,

I just purchased Benissimo tiles, as we were interested in the same product. For the outside edges of a counter, they actually incorporate bullnose and tile in one piece (12x12 w/a bullnosed edge. There are additional pieces designed specially for outside and inside corners. They also include regular 12x12 field tiles to finish the system. Their site is bennisimo.com. You can search by your area code for retailers who can order it, or you can try one of their advertised wholesalers. I found the later method most cost efficient, as we received 30% off of retail from a very helpful wholesaler.

We haven't received our order yet, but I asked a few tile places in town about the product and found several discussings in chatrooms on the web. The feedback is very positive.

Old 02-18-07, 07:25 AM
W
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
bbcac - Have you considered epoxy for the tile joints instead of grout.

Old 02-18-07, 08:28 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I wouldn't go with a tile countertop just because I like the look of a continuous surface better. But, if I did use tiles, I'd go with a manufactured product over a natural one due to the maintenance of a natural product not being something that interests me.

Old 02-18-07, 05:04 PM
W
" I'd go with a manufactured product over a natural one due to the maintenance of a natural product not being something that interests me."

Mitch - I've seen that statement in these forums a couple of times. I don't understand although I think it was part of a marketing campaign by the manmade stone guys a few years ago aso they could get a toehold in the granite market.
I have had natural granite countertops in my kitchen for several years. I also have a granite vanitytop in one of my baths and a marble in the other. I do all the required maintenance as recommended by the stone installers. It consists of sealing the surfaces twice a year.
The kitchen is by far the worse. It takes me all of 15 minutes and that's mainly because the sealing product needs to be left on for 10 minutes before wiping it off. Sealing is no more labor intensive than cleaning the countertop.

The natural beauty of granite more than compensates for the minimum maintenance they require.

Old 02-18-07, 05:48 PM
E
I just installed 12x12 granite tile on my counter it it looks great. Used 1/16th spacing and charcole unsanded grout. I'm dropping off the tiles I cut for the front face off at a local granite place and they are going to bevel the edge for $5 per edge. I assume the install will go a little slow cause i will have to use tape and probably hold them for a few minutes until the thin set starts to set but I think it will be worth it.

I looked into the tile with the beveled edges and they sounded great and I probably would have gone that route but this project was a face lift before we put the house on the market so cost was the biggest factor...

Old 02-18-07, 06:39 PM
Post the pictures to a site like photobucket.com and let us know the url.

Old 02-19-07, 10:57 AM
M
? re:Sealing the wooden faced front edge

from "NoExpert - As for the front edge, I used a wood trim the same color as my cabinets - I also capped the back splash in the same"

How do you prevent water seepage between the wood facing and the counter top?
If you apply the wood first, then the tiles could be overlap the joint, and reduce the possibility of water getting between the wood and the "underlayment".

Is there a sealer to use? Could use some ideas - 'cause I have a kitchen re-do in the near future. Thanks!

Last edited by MTTwister; 02-19-07 at 10:58 AM. Reason: can't spell teh.. oops the..
Old 02-19-07, 01:20 PM
H
I looked at that benissimo system on their website. Something doesnt make sense. They say in their installation instructions the "substrate must be sound and have no deflection". Then they recommend 1/4" cbu over 5/8" plywood as the ideal substrate. There is no way that substrate will have no deflection considering their is approx 22" to 23" of unsupported space from the back of the cabinet to the front. Two layers of plywood are needed for tile countertops, and most people in the trade will do 3/4" ply, then 1/2" ply then 1/4" cbu. Some installers will insist upon two layers of 3/4" plywood. If you use two layers of ply and 1/4" cbu, the benissimo system wont work cause the bullnose will only cover approx 1" of the substrate, leaving more than 1/2" exposed at the bottom. 5/8" plywood and 1/4" cbu is not a sufficient substrate for a tile coutertop - no way it will last.

Last edited by HeresJohnny; 02-19-07 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-19-07, 02:25 PM
N
Originally Posted by MTTwister
from "NoExpert - As for the front edge, I used a wood trim the same color as my cabinets - I also capped the back splash in the same"

How do you prevent water seepage between the wood facing and the counter top?
If you apply the wood first, then the tiles could be overlap the joint, and reduce the possibility of water getting between the wood and the "underlayment".

Is there a sealer to use? Could use some ideas - 'cause I have a kitchen re-do in the near future. Thanks!
I applied the trim after the tiles were set. I actually caulked betwen the stone and trim - very narrow bead that runs along the tile bevel and the trim piece. I used a 3/8" x 1 1/2" primed pine trim, painted it the same as cabinets and allied a coat of water base poly as a final coat.
Once I get home from work, I'll post a link to pic's as suggested by chandler (thank you chandler BTW)

Old 02-19-07, 06:56 PM
N
Link to pic's as promised - the applicances are being replaced with black units (the white clash badly with what we done so far).
The counter top is a black marble with a cream / white vein - cabinets are a cream color and the floors are cork.
My apologies for the poor qty pic's - I need a camera upgrade

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u25/ManyMazdas/

Old 05-25-08, 01:29 PM
B
Benissimo System tile kitchen countertop

After researching Benissimo System, finding a local store as a dealer, I visited the store. They had samples of the tiles in the available colors. I purchased my new countertop tiles through the store and had them install it. I love my countertop. It is beautiful. I had an extra large island installed. 5ft x 4ft with a 12" overhang on two sides for counter stools. We had to have a pcs. of steel cut at a local store to accomodate the weight of the tiles due to the overhang being so large. My island is huge and I love it. It was installed Oct. of 06 and it looks just as wonderful today as the day it was installed. Nothing has stained it. The colors are the same today as the day installed. The bullnose of the tile is a wonderful look. It feels so smooth. The bullnose is a very professional finish. It is actually what sold me on the product. On the slab granite, the price increased with the nice edging finshes. The overhang fits nicely over the underlayment. The bullnose butts up against the underlayment. (to answer the one who made comment about it on one of the threads). The installer put a sealer on it and I just have to wipe with damp cloth to clean. I would do it over in a heartbeat. I am actually considering installing in two bathroom remodels.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: