bathtub removal

Old 02-17-07, 06:11 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bathtub removal

I read in an older post about how to remove a tub. It says I should determine whether the tub is cast iron or steel. How do I do that? My tub is original to my 1950's house, if that is any help.

I wouldn't be considering this, except a friend got a new clawfoot tub for cheap from a trade show, and offered it to me. I'm going to be redoing the tile, so I don't care if I damage it. The bathroom is on concrete and the tub is against a concrete block (tile covered) wall. I'm trying to decide if it will be worth all the work. Plus this is my only bathroom, so I'd rather not have the work go on forever.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-07, 07:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Most likely you have a cast iron tub. You will have to break it out in pieces, and it won't be fun. You will need at least a 5 lb hammer, safety glasses, or a safety face shield. The pieces will be heavy to remove, but if you are determined to do it, we can help in the process. Make plans now for what you will do for a bathroom during this process, as it may take a week to get it done.

Old 02-17-07, 08:03 PM
before you start measure the drain , we recently looked doing something similar but when I measured the drain it just wouldn't fit

carefully measure everything to be sure it fits before you start

Old 02-18-07, 09:09 AM
If you currently have a cast iron tub, ask yourself why you are putting in another cast iron tub (assuming the clawfoot is cast iron). If the clawfoot is not cast iron, I personally wouldn't do it. The new acrylic tubs look nice but I think they feel cheap (plasticky) and don't keep water as warm in a hot bath situation.

I recently removed a steel tub - you could tap on it and it sounded like thin metal - pretty much by myself. I managed to do the removal without any damage to the tub, so it can be done. Then again I didn't have any tile to deal with...

Old 02-18-07, 02:30 PM
F
Thanks for the replies. The new tub is acrylic, which I do have some doubts about. Also, sounds like a lot of heavy work for the old tub removal. After I retile, I will try one of those resurfacing kits, as the tub is worn. I know the diy resurfacing may not last, but it will look better for awhile. I know more than one person who has had professional resurfacing done at a cost of $400-$500 and that has peeled as well.