psteacher

Old 02-18-07, 09:30 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
psteacher

Both my full size tub and shower stall walls above the one piece units installed have peeling paint. I've sanded and let the walls dry and primed and painted again only to have them peel. Is there anything on the market that you could install above the one piece unit from where the unit ends and it would go up the wall to the ceiling.

Old 02-18-07, 09:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
Welcome to the diy forums!

I supppose you could tile above the shower.

Does your bath have an exhaust fan? Is it used?

Generally the 1 piece units are high enough for moisture to not be a problem on the wall. Is the shower head angled too high? What type/brand of paint are you using? Are there are any problems with the paint on the ceiling?

Old 02-18-07, 06:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I have had some installers put silicone above the rim in an effort to seal it. But silicone isn't paintable, so it begins to peel and just doesn't stop once the moisture gets under it.

Old 02-19-07, 07:33 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
peeling paint over one pierce shower/bath

I tested the exhaust fans and they work but I will be replacing them with stronger ones. The paint I used was Home Depot brand Behr Latex Kitchen and Bath paint. At my house we have two 6ft 2 people trying to shower under a average height shower head. I don't know if it's worth moving the shower head. I guess I'll just try once more to prime and paint. Any suggestions on brand of paints for bathrooms?

Old 02-19-07, 08:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
2 problems - not the best paint for the conditions and bathers that are too tall

A better grade of paint would help a lot. Go to SWP or Ben Moore. I don't remember ever using it but Zinnser's perma white is highly recomended for problem bath rms.

Old 02-19-07, 12:52 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Consider putting a few rows of ceramic tile on the walls above the unit. Put a bead of silicone between the unit and the bottom row of tile. Those tall fellas are gonna continue to spash water all over those walls. I made an assuption that its fellas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: