1950's bathroom remodel...

Old 02-26-07, 04:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1950's bathroom remodel...

i would like to make some minor changes to the bathroom of the 1950's home we just purchased but i'm not sure how to go about it or if my ideas are possible. here they are:
1. convert shower stall to a linen closet. it is built in and i would like to remove the base which is tile. what is the best way to remove the base without causing too much damage to the underlying floor and what should i use for the walls inside the linen closet as the existing walls have extensive water damage?
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f354/rjclemens/IMG_0175.jpg

that is a picture of the existing shower and yes, that is wall paper. also the fixtures are located to the right and directly behind that wall is the tub.

2. leave the existing cast iron tub but add a shower head and wall mounted knobs. the tub and shower stall share a wall so is it possible to use the existing plumbing to convert the tub to a tub/ shower combo?
please help and feel free to let me know if my questions need further explanation.

Old 02-26-07, 07:54 PM
Y
a few more pictures may help
but if there is water damage it seem you may needto tear out walls
be sureto cap offdrin to prevent sewer gases
put more pics up so we can see better and help you further
ryan

Old 02-27-07, 03:30 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Is that really a shower with wallpaper walls? Never seen ona them before.

If the pan is tiled, you have mud over something, so take a small handheld maul to it and you should be able to bust it up and get it out. It may have a lead pan or something else, not sure. You have do get into it and see what you have. Wear eye protection. Where gloves to handle wire mesh or lathe.

You'll need to remove all the water damaged drywall and framing, and replace it with new framing and drywall. You may have mold issues as well to deal with.

You are gonna need to figure out how to resolve the issue of the drain plumbing being removed, or capped off somehow. You should be able to see what goes where, when the pan is gone.

Remove all the drywall around the tub surround. You may have to replace the valve with one that can support a tub and a shower. Do whatever plumbing is necessary while the walls are open. Replace the drywall over the tub with cement board. Make sure you put a vapor barrier of 4 mil poly or 15lb felt over the studs first. Set the tile over the cement board.

Whats on the floor now, tile? Once you remove the flooring, you'll ve able to assess the water damage. Replace or repair any rotted floor joists and plywood subfloor as needed. If you'll be tiling the floor after making repairs, make sure that your floor is strong enough to support a tile installation. Tile floors and movement dont get along so well together.

Old 02-28-07, 06:51 AM
we were told that to flooring in the bathroom could be asbestos. we were also told that it is ok to tile over. i'm not sure i want to do that. i think i would rather have a professional come out and remove it.
thanks for all your help!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: