Shower Door Leaking Onto Floor Tiles

Old 03-07-07, 08:37 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Shower Door Leaking Onto Floor Tiles

Our bathroom floor has ceramic tile over Hardi-board and a wood sub-floor. It butts up to a fiberglass shower enclosure with glass and metal shower doors. Over time the tile grout has pulled away from the shower enclosure. Now the shower door seals aren't working and water is seeping over the edge of the enclosure and down into the opening in the grout. I am very concerned about mold under the tile.

Short of removing the tile and reinstalling it, what is the best approach? I'm thinking I should spray a lot of bleach/water mix into the crack to try to kill any mold that is getting started, then stop using the shower for several days in order for everything to dry out. After it appears to be dry, I would reseal the shower door and repair the tile grout.

Old 03-07-07, 03:27 PM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Dewey

The joint where the tile floor meets the shower pan should never have been grouted. You should use caulk at this joint. Movement of the shower pan will cause grout in that joint to fail over a short period of time.

Let the area dry out for a few days and then caulk the joint.

Old 03-07-07, 03:52 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HeresJohnny
Dewey

The joint where the tile floor meets the shower pan should never have been grouted. You should use caulk at this joint. Movement of the shower pan will cause grout in that joint to fail over a short period of time.

Let the area dry out for a few days and then caulk the joint.
Thanks. I always wondered about that. I will try to find some of that caulk that matches the grout color.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: