drywall? plaster? what is it?

Old 03-20-07, 04:09 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question drywall? plaster? what is it?

I have done a few bath remods in my time.. but never before have I seen what I am currently faced with.

Home built in the 1950's
Apparent Bath Remod in 1970's?

I pulled out the medicine cabinet and found a few odd things. First and most concerning is what appears to be 2 layers of drywall?

Except what I am looking at doesnt appear to be similar to any drywall I have ever seen.

First link is a pic of what was found behind medicine cabinet. 1st layer (closet to studs) appears to be regular drywall. 2nd layer appears to be ??? it is hard as cement board and approx 1/2" thick. But is painted on and definetly NOT cement board. But sure is hard???

http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/41c328adzd8847eb8/21ddre2/__sr_/90f3re2.jpg?phozGAGBX40dvMQf

the second link is to same thing but a better look at the material in question

http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/41c328adzd8847eb8/21ddre2/__sr_/9effre2.jpg?phozGAGBof.5KZO_

The third is too what appears to be the same material but on a different wall and approx 1" thick.

http://f3.yahoofs.com/users/41c328adzd8847eb8/21ddre2/__sr_/2cd7re2.jpg?phozGAGBY6JapT.i

If the indivual links dont work.. try this one

http://photos.yahoo.com/bigme007

Anyone have any idea what this stuff is?

I plan on gutting the room, but before I do I want to be sure what I am dealing with?

Is there any chance it contains the dreaded asbestos?

Or some other "thing" several years from now I'll wish I hadnt inhaled???

thanks,
Brian

Old 03-20-07, 04:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Looks like it's greenboard over old plasterwall. Only way to determine if there is asbestos is to get it tested. It will be VERY VERY costly to have the room abated.

If you are worried when tearing it down, keep the old plaster walls moist and where a face mask or respirator.

Asbestos is really only bad in quantities over long periods of time and when airborn. Keeping it wet/moist will prevent it from being airborn.

Old 03-21-07, 08:15 AM
B
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Looks like it's greenboard over old plasterwall. Only way to determine if there is asbestos is to get it tested. It will be VERY VERY costly to have the room abated.

If you are worried when tearing it down, keep the old plaster walls moist and where a face mask or respirator.

Asbestos is really only bad in quantities over long periods of time and when airborn. Keeping it wet/moist will prevent it from being airborn.
Thanks for the reply.

Ive read about something called "Asbestos Cement Panels" that were used on interior walls... Im thinking thats what this is... Whatever it is.. its hard as cement. Thinking im gonna have it tested for peace of mind before I start any demo.

thanks again,
-Brian

Old 03-24-07, 08:35 PM
J
Follow hotinOKC's advice unless you want to spend money for nothing. Remove it taking good precautions so there is minimal dust wear a mask and you'll be fine. Knowing that it's asbestos won't change anything in the way you remove it, unless you have tons of cash you want to waste and hire a contractor to do it. If you do hire someone here's a tip do not go through your homeowners insurance they really don't like those claims.

Old 03-30-07, 11:08 AM
R
Have you noticed any fasteners in this stuff? If not, it may be a floated mortar bed. They are pretty common in well done work. It is a little hard to see from the pictures.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: