spacing tiles

Old 03-24-07, 08:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
spacing tiles

how far apart should you set ceramic tiles in the bathroom? I am tiling around my tub and the floor with 12x12 tiles . the floor is 5 ft. wide. With the spacing I may end up with a small sliver against the wall. how do i correct this?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-07, 02:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
With tiles that large and a space that small you can probably fudge a little on your grout lines. Dry fit the tiles and equalize them across the room and see if the grout line looks too large. If so, narrow it down to about 3/8" and center the tiles in the room and apply a shoe molding to cover the slight crack on the sides.

Old 03-24-07, 08:49 PM
Lay the tiles down on the floor and play with them until you get the right grout joint size, leave a grout space between the wall and tile if the joints are too big in the middle the first tile can be 1/2" from the wall since baseboard will cover the grout joint.

Old 03-26-07, 11:07 AM
Thanks, i can fudge a little but should the tile on the wall be the same as the tile on the floor? it is a straight bathroom with the tub across the back wall so all the tiles will be visible when you walk in. How small or large can a grout line be? I was going to use the little daisy looking spacers. Do those lay flat on the floor or stand up and what is the width?

Old 03-26-07, 04:50 PM
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
I'm not familiar with the daisy looking spacers. I use the ones that are shaped like a cross. They come in various thicknesses and are used standing up.
The size of grout lines is pretty subjective, but I think the grout width should be the same on the floor and walls if you are using the same size tile.

Lay out your tiles on the floor and shift them around until you get a reasonable width of tile along all the walls. It's better to have a half tile along each wall than to have a full tile on one side and a 1" gap (or a half inch of tile) on the other.

Old 03-30-07, 11:57 AM
As a general rule I use 1/8" on walls and 3/16" on floors because I like the look. Of course I try to do whatever the homeowner likes. I avoid using less than 1/2 of a tile anywhere. To lay out, measure the space and divide by the size of the tile (including grout line). Take any remainder, divide it in half and add to half a tile. This is the size of your starting and ending tiles. Never start at the edge, however, as walls are rarely plumb or rooms square.