Bathtub question

Old 04-01-07, 12:10 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathtub question

I am trying to remodel my bathroom and I have a question. Currently the bathroom I am remodeling does not have a shower and I plan on putting on in. I intend to put the necessary cement board on the walls and then tile down to where the walls meet the tub.

The question is - I was going to try to use the existing tub, which is a cast iron unit that is quite nice and appears to be nicer than most of the things you can buy today (at least cheaply) but the problem is that this unit does not seem to have the small flanges that stick up from the edges of the tub that the wall will overlap. What I was going to do was bring the cement board down and sit it on the upper edge of the tub and then extend the tile down to meet with the tub (or very close) and the caulk the seam.

As much as I hate to say it - I will buy a new tub if this unit was not made for this kind of an install but if I could use this one that would be nice. I want it to be right and not have problems within a year of finishing the install.

Also how high should the shower head be above the tub floor - is there a code for this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-01-07, 01:14 PM
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 218
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The tub sounds like a free standing model not intended to be enclosed. Having said that, several companies, including Kohler, have marketed tubs without flanges to be used in enclosures. There is a separate rubber cove that is attached to the studs and sits flush on the tub. The tile backer is installed (never bring it all the way to the tub. With a flanged tub it should be on the flange. In this case leave it up 1/4" and fill with silicon prior to tiling) I've used this method and though I'm not crazy about it, I have had good luck with it. Personally, I would replace the tub if it was an option. I put the shower arm elbow 78" above the finished floor. You can use any height that works for you. If you are using a rain head you should go a little higher.
Old 04-02-07, 06:14 AM
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: CA
Posts: 1,913
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If you have removed the wall down to the studs and really dont have a flange, then as already mentioned, American Standard and others make a tile flange that adheres to the tub with a very agressive self-stick tape. These flanges are used to convert for example, a drop in-type tub to a tub/shower ,which apparently is exactly your situation.

They are quite reliable, and you definitely want to do it. Relying soley on a caulked but joint from tile to tub would be very risky.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: